Gusty winds, heavy rains hit Tamil Nadu’s fishing industryNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:21 am ICT by admin
The fishing business has been severely affected and fishermen are struggling to make ends meet as they have incurred losses worth million of rupees over the past ten days.
Fishermen, eager to go out to the sea, are forced to reckon with nature’s fury as they sit idle and wait for the gusty winds to slow down.
Babu, a fisherman appealed to the government for help.
“We belong to the Kasimedu fishermen community in Tamil Nadu. For the past ten days, we could not go out for fishing because of gusty storms and heavy rain. The State Government should take some steps to help us,” he said.
Desingh, another fisherman said they have no alternative source of livelihood.
“According to fish buyers, vendors and workers, nearly 400,000 people are involved in the fishing business. On the Kasimedu side, the fishing business is severely affected causing a loss of one million rupees per day,” he said.
The Meteorological Department of Chennai said, though no warning has been sent out to the fishermen, the winds continue to remain strong.
“We have not issued any warning to the fishermen. We have told them that strong winds at speeds of 45 to 50 kmph will lash the coast,” said S. R. Ramanan, Director of Meteorological Department.
The sea continues to be rough with high tides but weathermen predict little rain during the next 24 hours in the region. (ANI)
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Odisha fishermen warned against going into sea - Aug 18, 2012
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Tamil Nadu braces for cyclone Jal - Nov 07, 2010
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Orissa fishermen warned against going into rough sea - Aug 29, 2011
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: babu, chennai, fisherman, fishermen, fishing boats, fishing harbours, fishing industry, gusty winds, heavy rain, heavy rains, high tides, kmph, little rain, meteorological department, rupees, severely, strong winds, tamil nadu, weathermen