Gurgaon residents protest power cutsJuly 3rd, 2012 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, July 3 (IANS) A severe power crisis Tuesday led residents, including municipal councillors, to agitate and block roads in the various parts of Gurgaon, causing extended traffic jams in the sweltering noon sun, an official said.
People in New Colony, Sector 22-23, Sector 28 and Manesar sub-division come out on the roads to protest against frequent and prolonged power cuts.
Residents of Molahera, Carterpuri and Sector 22 and 23, led by Ward 2 councilor Ravinder Yadav blocked the old Delhi road at the crossing of Sector 22.
They were joined by residents of Dundahera village. They complained that they were without power for the past one week. The vehicular traffic remained suspended for about five hours due to these blockades.
A road block was also reported in Sector 28 Tuesday noon when about 200 persons led by councillor Sunita Yadav of the village Chakarpur gathered in front of power house blocking roads for about two hours and locking the main gate of the power sub station.
Another road blockade was reported from New Colony led by Gargi Kakkar.
The agitators, who jammed the road for several hours, claimed that their normal life has been thrown almost out of gear due to the severe shortage of electricity.
- Anti-demolition protests choke Gurgaon expressway (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Anti-demolition protests choke Gurgaon expressway - Feb 07, 2011
- Telangana protests hit road transport, hundreds detained - Jan 17, 2011
- National Highway No:1: India's melancholy road - Jul 01, 2011
- Power failure, rains hit Delhi traffic, commuters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Chaos rules as Jats block Haryana roads, rail tracks (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Telangana leaders arrested for road blockades in Hyderabad - Sep 28, 2011
- Army called as Jat agitators torch police station (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Criminal case against Delhi-Jaipur highway builder - Aug 28, 2012
- Torrential rains cripple Delhi -- for hours - Sep 09, 2011
- Traffic jams leave Delhi motorists fuming - Jan 16, 2012
- Villagers demand toll tax waiver at Yamuna Expressway - Aug 16, 2012
- Traffic jam causes child's death in Pakistan - Jul 27, 2012
- Traffic movement restricted, Delhiites throng Metro - Nov 07, 2010
- Traffic woes continue for Delhiites (Roundup) - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: agitators, blockades, councilor, delhi road, electricity, gargi, manesar, municipal councillors, noon sun, old delhi, power crisis, power house, protest power, ravinder, road blockade, traffic jams, vehicular traffic, yadav