Gujarat to seek Sri Lanka’s help in setting up resortsMay 24th, 2009 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, May 24 (IANS) Gujarat will shortly contact Sri Lanka following its offer of assistance to set up resorts along the state’s 1,600-km coastline.
“At the Vibrant Gujarat summit in January, Sri Lankan officials had offered to help us set up resorts on the Saurashtra-Kutch coastline on a public private partnership (PPP) model,” a senior state tourism department official said.
However, according to him, two developments delayed any progress: Sri Lanka’s preoccupation with the offensive against Tamil rebels, and the Lok Sabha polls in India.
Gujarat’s tourism department officials had reportedly been told at the summit that Sri Lankan entrepreneurs were best equipped to help the state develop resorts on a PPP model given their long experience in developing such resorts in the island nation.
Following this, Gujarat too had shown an interest in inviting investment from Sri Lankan entrepreneurs to develop hotels and motels on the national highway on the Saurashtra coast connecting Jamnagar with Porbander.
“We are following up on the offers made by companies or individual entrepreneurs during the summit,” the tourism department official said.
- Gujarat invites Sri Lanka to develop coastal tourism - Jan 23, 2009
- Gujarat readies for cyclone Phet, squalls hit coastal areas (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Gujarat to develop 2 beaches along Saurashtra coast - Jun 28, 2009
- Cyclone Phet may give Gujarat a miss (Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- Gujarat coral reefs a virtual gold mine - Mar 27, 2011
- Gujarat coast on alert for high-velocity winds - Jun 24, 2009
- Saurashtra could be hit by 5-metre high tidal waves: officials - Jul 24, 2009
- Gujarat to invest Rs.600 crore in tourism projects - Jul 02, 2009
- 'Khushboo Gujarat Ki' aboard Metro's Airport Express - Mar 07, 2012
- 2,800 private Gujarat doctors on strike - Mar 09, 2009
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat during weekend - Jun 03, 2010
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat in next few days - Jun 02, 2010
- Sri Lanka woos UAE for its tourism sector - Aug 18, 2011
- Rain, duststorms brings relief from heat wave in parts of India (Roundup) - May 28, 2010
- Gujarat gets pre-monsoon showers - Jun 23, 2009
Tags: coastline, department officials, hotels and motels, India, island nation, jamnagar, lok sabha polls, may 24, preoccupation, public private partnership, sri lanka, sri lankan, state tourism department, summit, tamil rebels, vibrant gujarat