Gujarat seeks Canadian investment in state (With Images)September 7th, 2010 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
By Gurmukh Singh
Toronto, Sep 7 (IANS) A 16-member Gujarat business delegation began a week-long visit to Canada to woo businesses and companies to participate in the fifth annual ‘Vibrant Gujarat’ Summit to held Jan 12-13 in Gandhinagar.
Held biennially immediately after Pravasi Bharatiya Divas since 2003, the Vibrant Gujarat Summit is aimed at attracting foreign investment and knowhow into the state.
In a major boost to the state, Canada became the first western country in July to partner with the Gujarat Vibrant Summit.
Led by Gujarat principal secretary (energy) D.J. Pandian, the delegation is here to interact with government leaders, and construction, energy, engineering, aviation, mining and infrastructure companies to seek Canadian investment and knowhow. It has already met Ontario provincial ministers for environment and government services to explore joint ventures between the two states.
The delegation comprises more than a dozen big companies such as Reliance, Adani Power, Torrent Power, Suzlon, Cadila, Hazira LNG Ltd, Amos, iNDEXTb, Welspun Industries, Technopolis, Sai Infosystems, CII as well as Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University.
“We are a broad delegation from various sectors - minerals, power, ports, nuclear energy, trading, chemicals and education, and our aim is to discuss mutual interests with Canadian companies and invite them to come to Gujarat. We are here to attract businesses and venture capitalists and promote joint ventures,” Pandian told IANS Monday.
He said the delegation will tell Canadian venture capitalists that India offered returns of 15-20 percent as against just 3-4 percent here.
Pandian said, “Canada is known for its technical knowhow, agricultural products, educational standards, minerals as well as sound business practices and rules. So we are meeting potential Canadian companies, universities (like Toronto University) and business bodies on one-to-one basis so that they know what we offer.”
Since Canada has just opened a new trade office in Gujarat, Pandian said, “We discussed the possibility of having a similar Gujarati presence here (in the Indian high commission) to promote business ties between Ontario and our state.”
Pandian said the visit will do the groundwork with Canadian companies for various memoranda to be signed during the Vibrant Gujarat Summit.
Hemant Desai, who is representing Reliance Industries Ltd, told IANS, “Though we are here to market the whole state, I am here to tell potential companies that Gujarat offers limitless opportunities. I am here to tell them that from a small textile plant in 1970, Reliance is a $20 billion group in that state alone.”
Lauding Chief Minister Narendra Modi for this initiative, Samir Patel, chairman of Amos Enterprises, said, “The CM has sent not only bureaucrats but also business groups because he understands that outsiders will have believe more what Gujarati businesses say.”
Added businessman Hemant Shah, “This is one of the five or six such delegations visiting different parts of the world to sell Gujarat to businesses before the Vibrant Gujarat Summit. This idea has met with a huge success.”
Apart from Toronto, the delegation will also visit Regina, the capital of the uranium-rich Saskatchewan province, Winnipeg, the capital of agriculture-rich Manitoba province, and the national capital Ottawa.
(Gurmukh Singh can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Six Canadian MPs for Vibrant Gujarat summit - Dec 25, 2010
- Canada becomes first western nation to partner 'Vibrant Gujarat' - Jul 22, 2010
- Investor friendly Gujarat woos American businesses - Jul 10, 2012
- Business-friendly Gujarat appeals to US firms - Jul 14, 2012
- Gujarati diaspora to put up its biggest show in Canada - May 08, 2010
- Canada promises faster immigration, more student visas - Apr 27, 2011
- Canadian cos. asked to make India their South Asian hub (With Image) - Jun 29, 2010
- Indian mines minister to visit Canada - Jul 02, 2010
- Indian companies discuss nuclear MoUs with Canada - Feb 26, 2011
- India urged to issue global white paper on mining - Jul 31, 2011
- Mayor of Canada's 'Indian city' leads business trip to India - Jan 27, 2011
- Canada is partner country at Vibrant Gujarat conclave - Jan 10, 2011
- India Show in Canada to showcase engineering power - May 28, 2011
- India signs MoU with Canada's Ontario province (With Image) - Jul 09, 2010
- Vibrant Gujarat 2011 aims to provide investment to every state: Modi - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: adani, business bodies, business delegation, canadian investment, canadian venture, energy engineering, energy trading, gujarat business, hazira lng, infrastructure companies, mutual interests, petroleum university, principal secretary, provincial ministers, sound business practices, state canada, toronto university, venture capitalists, vibrant gujarat, welspun