Growth slows in US service sectorDecember 6th, 2011 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
New York, Dec 6 (IANS/EFE) The service sector, which accounts for more than 75 percent of US economic activity, expanded last month at the slowest pace in nearly two years, the Institute for Supply Management said Monday.
The ISM’s services index declined from 52.9 in October to 52 in November, the lowest level since January 2010 and short of analysts’ forecasts of a reading of 54.
Even so, any reading above 50 points indicates expansion and November marked the 24th consecutive month of growth in the service sector as measured by the ISM nationwide survey of purchasing and supply executives.
“Respondents’ comments for the most part project continued slow, incremental growth. There still remains a strong concern about lagging employment,” the head of the ISM’s Non-Manufacturing Business Survey Committee, Anthony Nieves, said.
The survey sub-index measuring activity in the service sector rose from 53.8 points in October to 56.2 last month, while the new orders sub-index climbed from 52.4 to 53 points.
Conversely, the sub-index that gauges employment in the sector dropped from 53.3 points in October to 48.9 points in November.
US factory orders fell 0.4 percent in October, the Commerce Department said in a report released Monday that also revised the figures from September to show a 0.1 percent decline instead of the original estimate of a 0.3 percent rise.
The largest determining factor in October was a 5 percent drop in orders for expensive transportation goods, notably in the civil aviation sector, which saw orders plunge 16.8 percent.
- US service sector grows at slowest pace in 18 months - Aug 04, 2011
- Growth of US manufacturing sector slows - Nov 02, 2011
- Report points to slower growth in US manufacturing - Sep 02, 2011
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth goes up (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- China manufacturing expands in April (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- US service sector grows in June - Jul 06, 2012
- US manufacturing slows - Aug 02, 2011
- China non-manufacturing sector's growth picks up - Jul 03, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector slows in April (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- US manufacturing remains healthy - May 03, 2011
- Spanish consumer confidence at all-time low - Aug 04, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth slows in August - Sep 03, 2011
- China's Purchasing Managers Index rises in February (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- China's manufacturing activity slows to nine-month low (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector rebounds (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: business survey, civil aviation sector, commerce department, decline, economic activity, efe, incremental growth, institute for supply management, ism, manufacturing business, new york dec, nieves, plunge, respondents, service sector, services index, slowest pace, survey committee, transportation goods