Grid failure stalls life in Punjab, HaryanaJuly 31st, 2012 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 31 (IANS) Trains were stranded at various places across Punjab and Haryana as another power grid failure hit parts of the country Tuesday.
Electricity supply to all cities and towns in both the states was severely affected due to the grid failure Tuesday.
“In many areas, power supply had not been restored after the major failure in the northern grid yesterday (Monday) and today’s grid failure added to the misery of the people,” a senior power corporation official in Haryana told IANS here.
Railway officials said trains were stranded at various stations including Ambala, Kurukshetra, Karnal and Rohtak in Haryana and Ludhiana, Jalandhar, Amritsar, Patiala and other places in Punjab.
With railway authorities offering no assistance or information, commuters were forced to fend for themselves.
In Chandigarh, the joint capital of Punjab and Haryana, power supply was hit for nearly five hours Tuesday. Electricity supply was restored to some areas around 3 p.m.
- Power supply partially restored in Punjab, Haryana - Jul 30, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana have rains, mercury dips - Feb 26, 2011
- 3 lakh passengers, 300 trains stranded in eight states (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Fog, overcast skies in Punjab, Haryana - Dec 28, 2010
- Farmers block rail, road traffic in Punjab - Dec 08, 2011
- Power trip hits seven states, millions suffer (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Special police stations to tackle power, water theft - Dec 06, 2011
- Power supply resumes in Punjab, Haryana after hours of blackout - Jan 03, 2010
- Christmas celebrated in Punjab, Chandigarh - Dec 25, 2011
- Harrowing time for residents, passengers in Haryana - Jul 07, 2010
- Goods train derails in Punjab - Dec 08, 2010
- Power trip in seven states hits millions (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Trains again delayed in Chandigarh, Punjab and Haryana - Jul 07, 2010
- Delhi blames neighbouring states for power crisis (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Fog again hits Punjab, Haryana - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: amritsar, capital of punjab, cities and towns, commuters, electricity supply, grid failure, haryana, jalandhar, karnal, ludhiana, misery, northern grid, patiala, power grid, power supply, railway authorities, railway officials, rohtak, trains