Greater Noida farmers hail land acquisition verdictJuly 6th, 2011 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Greater Noida, July 6 (IANS) Farmers in the western Uttar Pradesh belt of Greater Noida Wednesday welcomed the Supreme Court order quashing the acquisition of land in Shahberi village. Land owners in other villages of the district said they too will approach the court against the state government’s takeover of their lands.
“The verdict has brought smiles on our faces. For the first time, the farmers are being heard by the court. They were being left to die in this anarchic situation,” said Ranbir Nagar, coordinator of farmers’ Gramin Panchayat Morcha.
Tej Ram Yadav, an agriculturist turned lawyer and resident of Haibatpur village, said: “Only the higher judiciary is saving our democracy. The state is in full force to loot people. Investors are entering real estate business for easy and massive profits. The state is cracking the backbone of farmers.”
In a major setback to the Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh, the Supreme Court Wednesday upheld an Allahabad High Court verdict and quashed the acquisition of lands in Shahberi village here.
The Bahujan Samaj Party government had taken over the lands in Shahberi invoking the emergency provisions of the Land Acquistion Act, under which the land owners were denied the right to be heard.
Farmers of Patwadi, Khairpur, Ghanghola, Khodna-Kalan, Saini, Roja Jalalpur, Itehra and Haibatpur villages on the edge of the western Uttar Pradesh, close to the national capital, said they too will seek return of their lands from the high court.
Many farmers said they are willing to return the compensation amount to get their lands back.
Ravi Bhati, a farmer in Ghanghola village, said: “I am persuading my relatives to approach the high court. Many farmers who have collected their compensations will go to the court with us.”
- Greater Noida farmers prepare for next round of battle - Jul 21, 2011
- 30 peacocks die in Greater Noida - Aug 07, 2012
- Supreme Court quashes land acquisition in Greater Noida - Jul 07, 2011
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- Court cancels acquisition in 3 Noida villages, hikes compensation - Oct 21, 2011
- Marching on: Rahul takes on Mayawati on land acquisition (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2011
- Farmers hold ritual for Greater Noida officials - Jul 24, 2011
- Greater Noida farmers support draft land bill - Jul 30, 2011
- Singur welcomes verdict on Greater Noida land return - Jul 06, 2011
- Noida land acquisition row: Apex court notice to UP, Noida (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Will appeal court judgment: Greater Noida official - Jul 20, 2011
- Greater Noida builders in red over green violations? - Aug 07, 2011
- Greater Noida farmers oppose new move to take their land - Jul 23, 2011
- Can't intervene in Greater Noida land acquisition mess: Sibal - Jul 22, 2011
- Greater Noida farmers now want Rs.11,500 per square metre - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: agriculturist, allahabad high court, backbone, bahujan samaj party, compensations, court verdict, emergency provisions, estate business, farmers, full force, judiciary, kalan, khairpur, land acquisition, land acquistion, major setback, massive profits, party government, state government, uttar pradesh