Governor Schwarzenegger appeals to save ‘California dream’June 3rd, 2009 - 4:09 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, June 3 (DPA) California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger appealed to lawmakers Tuesday to pass a raft of unprecedented budget cuts, saying the tough decisions were the only way to save the California dream.
Schwarzenegger made his comments in a meeting of the California legislature convened to decide on his proposals to close the state’s projected $24-billion shortfall.
“People are writing California off. They are talking about the end of the California dream,” the governor said. “They don’t believe that we in this room have the courage and determination to do what needs to be done or that the state is manageable.”
Schwarzenegger and the lawmakers reached a deal in February to plug the deficit. But that plan was derailed when voters roundly rejected a slate of ballot measures that would have allowed the state to borrow some $6 billion against the future revenues of the state lottery.
That ultimately unsuccessful legislative deal took months to negotiate. But the state could run out of money by the end of next month unless a new budget is passed by then.
Schwarzenegger’s unpopular proposals include massive cuts to welfare and health programmes, as well as to education and prisoner rehabilitation. Another controversial proposal would see the government close most of California’s fabled state parks.
Schwarzenegger said that the government had no choice but to make the tough decisions. “California’s day of reckoning is here,” he said. “Our wallet is empty. Our bank is closed. Our credit is dried up.”
- California Legislator Proposes Turning Neverland Ranch Into State Park - Jul 15, 2010
- Schwarzenegger declares fiscal emergency in California - Jul 02, 2009
- Schwarzenegger proposes tax hikes for California - Nov 07, 2008
- Sarah Palin hits back at Arnie's 'can't see Russia' Twitter jibe - Sep 11, 2010
- It's now Professor Arnold Schwarzenegger! - Aug 03, 2012
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Shriver split after 25 years - May 10, 2011
- Schwarzenegger signs California Anti-Slavery Bill - Oct 01, 2010
- Schwarzenegger, Shriver part ways after 25 years - May 10, 2011
- California Governor Schwarzenegger orders mass layoffs - Feb 18, 2009
- 'Expendables 2' a break from politics: Schwarzenegger - Aug 19, 2012
- California approves $200 mn education stimulus funds - Sep 18, 2010
- Democrats Rule In California With Jerry Brown - Nov 03, 2010
- California Governor scraps plan for 'Cadillac death row' - May 02, 2011
- Schwarzenegger to pen autobiography - Sep 23, 2011
- Schwarzenegger back on 'Terminator' series - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, ballot measures, budget cuts, california dream, california governor arnold, california legislature, controversial proposal, day of reckoning, dpa, governor arnold schwarzenegger, governor schwarzenegger, june 3, lawmakers, legislative deal, massive cuts, raft, shortfall, state lottery, state parks, wallet