Government to take up Goa SEZ issue April 30April 13th, 2008 - 3:39 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) The Indian government is all set to meet Goa officials and developers after the state government decided to scrap its special economic zones following large-scale protests. “The government has decided to meet officials and SEZ developers from Goa to find a solution to the issue,” a commerce and industry ministry official told IANS.
“We might also discuss the issue in the upcoming eGoM (empowered group of ministers) meeting which might happen on April 29,” the official said. He added that the meeting could be advanced to April 22.
Mumbai-based real estate major Rahejas and pharmaceutical major Cipla have filed a petition in the Bombay High Court against the Goa government order.
The eGoM, headed by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, is likely to take up several issues that still cloud the development of SEZs in the country.
These include the size-limit for multi-product SEZs and provision of tax incentives on non-processing areas such as housing, schooling and other non-industrial activity.
This would benefit the larger SEZs of Reliance Industries Ltd, DLF, Adani, Omaxe and the Singapore-based Ascendas group.
In the meantime, the Board of Approvals (BoA) for granting approval to SEZs is likely to meet May 2. So far, the government has granted formal approvals to 453 SEZs, out of which 207 are under development.
- Seven SEZ projects approved - Apr 09, 2010
- CCCL and Tidco to promote food processing SEZ - Jul 16, 2010
- Ascendas, Japanese firms to build industrial township near Chennai - Jan 10, 2012
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010
- Goa move to scrap SEZs awaits central government's nod - Dec 09, 2008
- PAC to probe 2006 land allotment for SEZs - May 25, 2011
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- 2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approved - May 01, 2012
- Notice to central government on Adani Power Ltd petition - May 10, 2011
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- Decision on 12 Goa SEZs June 4 - May 01, 2008
Tags: adpranab mukherjee, april 29, bombay high court, cipla, dlf, economic zones, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, goa government, indian government, industry ministry, ministers meeting, ministry official, omaxe, reliance industries, reliance industries ltd, sezs, state government, tax incentives