Government to monitor onion pricesSeptember 6th, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) The government will soon sell onions at subsidised rates here and intervene to keep prices under check, Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution K.V. Thomas said Tuesday.
Outlets of both the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Fedration and National Cooperative Consumers’ Federation will sell onions at Rs.20 a kg.
The ministry has also requested state governments to take similar steps through their agencies.
A statement from the ministry quoted Thomas as telling officials to keep a close watch on onion prices and take appropriate steps like discouraging the export of the commodity, if required.
According to estimates, total onion production in 2011-12 will be 151.36 lakh tonnes, which will be higher than last year’s 145.62 lakh tonnes.
But due to rains in some parts of the country and delayed sowing of kharif crop, onion prices have risen in some areas, said officials.
- Onion export ban lifted - Sep 20, 2011
- Nashik onion markets to re-open Wednesday - Sep 20, 2011
- Onion export ban to be reviewed - Sep 19, 2011
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Onion export ban was not panic decision: Minister - Sep 21, 2011
- Looking at ways to tackle food prices: Thomas - Oct 31, 2011
- Nafed monitoring markets to check onion prices - Nov 26, 2010
- Food prices: Exports regulated, action against hoarders (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- States declare drought, not centre: Pawar - Aug 01, 2012
- Some subsidy may be restored to tackle drought: Minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Onion prices slide as export ban takes effect (Roundup) - Dec 22, 2010
- Plans to meet pulses shortfall: Officials - Sep 26, 2011
- Food prices: State to sell onions, crack down on hoarders - Jan 13, 2011
- Price rise: Centre asks States to take up market intervention effectively - Feb 07, 2011
- 400 outlets to sell onions at Rs.40 a kg in Delhi - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: close watch, commodity, consumer affairs, consumers, cooperative marketing, estimates, kg, lakh tonnes, minister of state, New Delhi, onion prices, onion production, onions, public distribution, state governments