Government to meet Goa’s SEZ developersFebruary 25th, 2008 - 4:55 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) The central government will hold discussions with 12 of Goa’s special economic zone (SEZ) developers. The state government has recommended the scrapping of these SEZs. The government will hold separate meetings with developers whose SEZs have already been given a final go-ahead, Commerce and Industry Secretary G.K. Pillai said here Monday.
Pillai heads the Board of Approvals (BoA) for SEZ projects in the country.
The three notified SEZs in Goa are Cipla’s Meidtab Specialities, Raheja’s IT-ITeS SEZ and Peninsula Pharma’s biotech SEZ. Cipla has so far invested Rs.1.3 billion in its SEZ and plans to put in more.
The ministry has also decided to issue show-cause notices to 12 SEZs that have received formal and “in-principle” approvals but are yet to be notified.
They would be asked to show reasons why their projects should not be cancelled, Pillai said.
He also said proposals that were earlier forwarded by the Goa government for BoA’s consideration stood “withdrawn”.
The state government decided Dec 31 to cancel all SEZs that have been set up and those that were in the pipeline, in response to extensive public agitation.
This had also induced the BoA to seek the central law ministry’s help, which has asked that the developers be paid compensation in the light of their projects being cancelled.
The BoA, in its 22nd meeting Monday, took up eight fresh proposals for consideration and three for in-principle approvals, which consisted of a proposal by the Videocon Reality and Infrastructures Ltd in West Bengal.
The board has so far granted formal approvals to 439 proposals, of which 200 have been notified.
- Seven SEZ projects approved - Apr 09, 2010
- Government approves four IT SEZs - Mar 20, 2008
- Kozhikode Cyberpark gets Special Economic Zone tag - Jun 24, 2011
- Government to take up 15 SEZ proposals today - Jun 04, 2008
- Decision on 12 Goa SEZs June 4 - May 01, 2008
- Goa move to scrap SEZs awaits central government's nod - Dec 09, 2008
- DLF asks government to denotify four SEZs (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Goa minister goes against own government, supports SEZs - Nov 09, 2009
- Government approves 10 more special economic zones - Feb 25, 2008
- Govt okays 11 special economic zones - Sep 16, 2010
- Government allows Maytas to withdraw SEZ - Aug 11, 2009
- Maharashtra axes four SEZs after local opposition - Jul 31, 2012
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Fear of litigation halts SEZ de-notification: Goa chief minister - Nov 20, 2009
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: agitation, boa, central government, cipla, goa government, industry secretary, infrastructures, law ministry, New Delhi, peninsula, pharma, pillai, pipeline, principle, proposals, raheja, sezs, special economic zone, state government, west bengal