Government to fast-track digitisation of TV broadcastSeptember 26th, 2011 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 26 (IANS) The Indian government is planning to amend broadcasting rules with a view to fast-track complete digitisation of cable and satellite TV broadcast industry by 2014.
The move is expected to boost the subscription revenues for broadcasters as it promises to end substantial carriage fee they pay to the cable TV operators.
An ordinance may be brought in to amend the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act as the March 31, 2012, deadline for digitisation in the four metros is very near, said a reliable source in the information and broadcasting ministry.
In such a scenario, the ministry could not have waited for the winter session of parliament, the source said.
The proposed amendments in the cable act has been discussed with the law ministry. A note has been sent to the cabinet for approval, added the source.
The cable and satellite television industry is expected to be worth Rs.20,000 crore.
- Cabinet clears digitisation of TV broadcasts - Oct 13, 2011
- Bill to digitalise cable TV passed by Lok Sabha - Dec 13, 2011
- Broadcasters hail passing of digitalisation bill - Dec 14, 2011
- Tata Sky gearing up to meet demand post-digitisation - Feb 15, 2012
- West Bengal cable TV equipment makers seek tax holiday - Jan 12, 2012
- Indian TV fest in Goa rescheduled - Sep 14, 2012
- Ready to meet digitalisation deadline: Cable TV operators - Jun 01, 2012
- Amend the Cable Act, says ex-CEO of Prasar Bharati - Feb 10, 2010
- Cable networks must go digital by 2014 - May 08, 2012
- Government approves modified HITS guidelines - Dec 17, 2009
- Soni pushes for complete digitalisation of TV - Oct 20, 2009
- FDI limit hike proposed in broadcasting sector - Aug 09, 2011
- CBS, Reliance Broadcast Network to launch TV channels in India - Aug 19, 2010
- 'Digital transmission in four metros from July' - Mar 14, 2012
- Media, entertainment industry grew 12 percent in 2011 to Rs.729 bn - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: broadcast industry, broadcasters, cable act, cable television networks, cable tv operators, digitisation, fast track, indian government, law ministry, metros, New Delhi, parliament, proposed amendments, regulation act, satellite television, satellite tv broadcast, subscription revenues, television industry, winter session