Government to conduct economic census next yearMay 13th, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) The government plans to carry out an economic census next year to assess the impact of economic reforms on various industries and to formulate policies better.
“The census would involve collection of data from entrepreneurial units in the country,” said a statement from the ministry of statistics and programme implementation.
“Data on sectoral activity of the unit, number of workers, social group of the owner, female owned enterprise among others would be collected for micro level planning and policy formulations with respect to various economic activities,” it added.
The census, which is the sixth such activity to be undertaken, will see field work being done by the ministry of statistics from January to June of 2012 in collaboration with state and union territory governments.
The ministry also laid emphasis on studying the benefits to the services sector of the economic reforms process as it contributed significantly towards the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) and also in generation of employment.
“The database would enable policy makers and analysts to assess the impact of the economic liberalisation process on entrepreneurial activities, especially in the unorganised sector,” said the statement.
The data at lower geographical levels like tehsil or village in case of rural areas, and wards in the case of urban areas, would also be a valuable input for local level planning, it added.
Analysis of the information collected would help policymakers assess the individual contribution of various industrial sectors in the country’s GDP.
- Economic census planned to assess reforms - Aug 04, 2011
- Why no social security for unorganised workers, NAC asks government - Apr 30, 2012
- New manufacturing policy to boost growth, create 100 million jobs - Jun 10, 2011
- Execution seen as key in manufacturing policy success - Oct 30, 2011
- Government sets up board to boost manufacturing - Jun 03, 2012
- Health of urban poor worse than rural poor: Parliamentary panel - Apr 30, 2012
- GDP logs slowest quarterly growth in 3 years (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- India to return to 8-9 percent growth: President (Second Lead) (With image) - Mar 12, 2012
- Plan panel expects GDP growth in 2011-12 to slip from 8.5 percent (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Vice President Ansari enumerated for second phase of Census 2011 - Feb 09, 2011
- Economic growth falls to 3-year low at 6.1 percent (Roundup) - Feb 29, 2012
- GDP growth at 6.1 percent in December quarter - Feb 29, 2012
- India's industrial output dips 3.5 percent in March (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- Landmark manufacturing policy to boost growth, create 100 mn jobs (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- India's economic growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
Tags: economic activities, economic census, economic reforms, entrepreneurial activities, gdp, geographical levels, gross domestic product, industrial sectors, micro level, New Delhi, programme implementation, rural areas, s gross, social group, tehsil, territory governments, union territory, unorganised sector, urban areas, wards