Government to cancel four coal blocks to private firmsSeptember 13th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) The inter-ministerial group (IMG) on coal block allocations Thursday recommended de-allocation of four coal blocks allotted to private companies since they have failed to set up end-use plants.
The IMG also recommended encashment of bank guarantee of three others for failing to develop their mines within the prescribed time frame.
The recommendations have been accepted by the government, according to an official release.
The four blocks are Bramhadih Block allocated to Castron Mining, Chinora and Warora (Southern Part) Blocks allocated to Fieldmining and Ispat Ltd and the Lalgarh (North) Block allotted to DOMCO Smokeless Fuels.
In the case of Utkal B2 Block allocated to Monnet Ispat, the IMG asked the company to submit bank guarantee amounting to three years royalty failing which the block will be deallocated.
In case of Marki Mangli-II, III and IV Blocks allocated to Shri Virangana Steels, the IMG recommended de-allocation and deduction of bank guarantee.
This is the first recommendation by the IMG ever since controversy broke out over the allocation of coal blocks after the country’s official auditor in a recent report said the government had lost up to Rs.186,000 crore ($33.67 billion) by not auctioning the coal blocks.
The IMG last week met with representatives of 29 firms, which presented their cases. The committee Wednesday scrutinised cases of eight firms. It is scheduled to review the rest 23 firms in its next meeting Friday.
The IMG, composed of bureaucrats from different ministries, is examining the cases of 58 companies, public and private, who have failed to meet deadlines for different stages of development of mines.
- IMG deallocates 8th coal block, Plan panel for privatising mining - Sep 18, 2012
- Ministerial group begins review of coal block companies - Sep 06, 2012
- Inter-ministerial group reviews coal block allocations - Sep 03, 2012
- IMG likely to complete coal report by Sep 15: Bansal - Sep 13, 2012
- Coal blocks taken away from firms, including NTPC - May 05, 2011
- Coal ministry threatens taking back 97 mining blocks - Sep 08, 2010
- IMG on coal block allocation to meet again Sep 12 - Sep 10, 2012
- India lost $37 bn by not auctioning coal mines: Auditor (Intro Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sahai denies nepotism in coal block allocations (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Auction of coal mines could have fetched $37 bn more: Auditor (Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- Coal block allocations made by best screening committee: Jaiswal - Aug 17, 2012
- Subodh Kant Sahay denies involvement in coal allocation (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- 30 coal blocks start production out of 195 allocated - Aug 13, 2012
- SAIL, Jindal among nine given mining rights in Chhattisgarh - Dec 06, 2010
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: allocations, bank guarantee, bureaucrats, coal, different ministries, different stages, encashment, four blocks, ispat, mangli, marki, ministerial group, New Delhi, private companies, private firms, royalty, smokeless fuels, stages of development, steels, time frame