Government proposes restart of Airport MetroAugust 22nd, 2012 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) The government proposes to re-start the Airport Metro Express line which has remained suspended for over two months due to construction defects, Minister of State for Urban Development Saugata Roy said here Wednesday.
In a written reply in Rajya Sabha Wednesday, Roy said: “The average ridership of the Airport metro Express line till it shut down for repairs was about 17,000 passengers per day. It (repairs) will be done by M/s Delhi Airport Metro Express Pvt Ltd (DAMEPL), the concessionaire and operator of the Airport Metro Express train.”
Roy said prima facie, the investigations showed that there are defects in civil works of the Airport Metro Express Line.
“The investigation, prima facie, show that there are defects in civil works, such as crushing of grout material above and below bearings, and cracks and shifting of bearings at many locations. In addition, certain cracks and twists in some of the girders have also been noticed,” he said.
Operations on the Airport Metro, a joint venture between Delhi Metro and Reliance Infra, were suspended July 8 after some faults were detected in the civil structure of the line.
The Airport Metro covers over a 23-km distance between the New Delhi Railway Station and the Indira Gandhi International Airport in 18 minutes.
- Delhi's airport Metro may re-start late August (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2012
- Delhi Airport Express resumption date unclear - Aug 14, 2012
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Delhi Airport Metro repair to cost Rs.12 crore - Aug 08, 2012
- Shorter airport metro services likely to resume (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Probe into airport Metro flaws, August-end re-start unlikely - Jul 16, 2012
- Dikshit hasn't lost hope yet on Delhi's Airport Metro - Sep 10, 2012
- DMRC, R-Infra passing the Express buck: Dikshit - Jul 16, 2012
- Airport Metro to remain shut till late August (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- 15,000 people daily travel on airport Metro - Sep 11, 2011
- Repair work of Airport Metro to end by October: Kamal Nath - Sep 17, 2012
- Multi-level car parking for Airport Metro commuters - Feb 06, 2012
- Airport Metro increases frequency during peak hours - Aug 05, 2011
- Metro to use latest technologies in phase III - May 01, 2011
- Airport Metro increases frequency - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: bearings, civil structure, concessionaire, construction defects, delhi airport, delhi metro, express train, faults, girders, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, joint venture, metro express, minister of state, New Delhi, pvt ltd, railway station, rajya sabha, ridership, urban development