Government preparing roadmap for northeast developmentJune 22nd, 2009 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) The government is preparing a roadmap for the all-round development of the northeastern states, it said here Monday.
The roadmap, part of the government’s “North East Vision-2020″ initiative, will focus on speedy implementation of the centrally sponsored projects and strengthening of the public sector units in the region, Minister of Development of North Eastern Region B.K. Handique said.
The North East Vision-2020, an ambitious plan for the overall development of the region by 2020, was released by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last year.
Releasing his ministry’s agenda for the next 100 days, Handique told reporters that he would take steps for the speedy implementation of the central projects in close coordination with state governments.
He added that the government would implement the World Bank-funded North Eastern Rural Livelihood Project and promote public sector units like the North Eastern Handicrafts and Handlooms Development Corp (NEHHDC) and North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corp (NERAMAC).
These state-run companies would be revamped to generate additional employment opportunities and other economic opportunities, the minister said.
“North Eastern Development Finance Corp (NEDH) will work to promote the economy of all northeastern states,” Handique said.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- North Eastern Council meet to boost development in region - Jun 26, 2012
- Panel slams lapses in corporation for handlooms - Aug 02, 2011
- North Eastern Council prepares tourism roadmap - Jun 13, 2011
- 385 development projects delayed in northeast - Dec 13, 2010
- Lack of skills hit northeast's development: Handique - Jul 03, 2011
- 'Northeastern capitals on rail map by 2017' - Jul 02, 2011
- Rural poverty alleviation project for northeast approved - Nov 16, 2011
- President Patil underlines need for development of North-East - Mar 10, 2011
- Tripura CM rejects private participation in infrastructure - Mar 31, 2012
- Northeast cultural centre to be set up in Delhi - Jun 02, 2011
- Northeast states have to release funds for projects - Aug 09, 2010
- Eco-friendly hydel projects must for northeast: Minister - Jul 26, 2011
- Pranab mulls special package for northeast - Jun 07, 2012
- Shift thrust to MSME sector: Northeastern states - Jun 14, 2012
- Northeast chief ministers meet to boost development - Feb 07, 2010
Tags: agricultural marketing, ambitious plan, asian news, central projects, development finance, economic opportunities, handicrafts, livelihood project, manmohan, manmohan singh, marketing corp, northeastern states, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public sector units, roadmap, speedy implementation, sponsored projects, state governments, vision 2020