Government plans agency for bio-fuel developmentApril 1st, 2008 - 9:47 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) India plans to set up a separate agency to promote the development and use of bio-fuels, an official statement said Tuesday. “The ministry of new and renewable energy has been entrusted with the responsibility of setting up a national bio-fuel development board,” the statement said.
The proposal for setting up the board, including its draft terms of reference and composition, has been submitted for necessary approvals.
“The government is already providing subsidy to promote tree-borne oilseeds, including bio-fuel crops, under the integrated development of tree-borne oilseeds scheme.”
A committee headed by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and comprising representatives from the renewable energy and rural development ministries is tasked with formulating policy guidelines for bio-fuel development.
Ethanol and bio-diesel are key bio-fuels being used as alternative transportation fuels. Sugarcane is a key source of ethanol whereas Jatropha plants are found to be rich in oil that can be converted into biodiesel.
While the government has mandated blending of five percent ethanol with petrol for use as a transportation fuel, there is no similar initiative as yet to promote bio-diesel.
Maharashtra is a leading producer of ethanol in the country even and other states like Chhattisgarh have emerged as key players in bio-diesel usage.
- Government told to decide fast on bio-fuels programme: Parliament panel - May 07, 2012
- Centre initiates research on second generation bio-fuels - Mar 12, 2010
- Cuba tests biofuel vehicle - Jul 23, 2012
- CII proposes bio-diesel price hike - Jan 02, 2011
- Cuba unveils its first biodiesel plant - Jul 17, 2012
- Algae seen as cheapest, greenest bio-diesel source - Feb 18, 2011
- Ramesh cautions against use of biofuels in automobiles - Aug 26, 2010
- India approves new policy to promote biofuels - Dec 24, 2009
- Brazil to make sugarcane fuel - Jul 23, 2010
- Indian company in Ethiopia for bio-fuel production - Dec 07, 2009
- After juices, DRDO turns to bio-diesel - Feb 17, 2010
- Bio-fuel not at cost of food security: FAO - Oct 04, 2011
- US-India CEO forum suggest $1 bn clean energy fund - Nov 08, 2010
- NIT Trichy study links nanoparticles to increased biofuel performance - Apr 09, 2011
- Successful biofuel flight conducted in Mexico - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, alternative transportation fuels, bio diesel, bio fuel, bio fuels, biodiesel, chhattisgarh, draft terms, ethanol, fuel crops, fuel development, integrated development, maharashtra, necessary approvals, oilseeds, renewable energy, rural development, sharad pawar, terms of reference, transportation fuel