Government offers assistance to Delhi Milk SchemeMay 2nd, 2012 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) The Delhi government Wednesday decided to assist Delhi Milk Scheme (DMS) in extending the reach of its products in the national capital.
The decision was made in a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit where Minister for Food and Supplies Haroon Yusuf was also present.
“It was stated by the DMS that it has the capacity to produce 500,000 litres of milk per day, whereas it is presently producing only 300,000 litres a day,” said a statement.
“Further, the reach of DMS milk supply is only limited to old areas of the city. The supply is not available in Rohini, Dwarka, cooperative group housing societies, slums and JJ and unauthorized colonies,” it added.
According to DMS, a major portion of the population belonging to weaker sections and middle income group is presently deprived of quality milk being supplied by it at reasonable rates.
The DMS further stated that it was capable of producing another 200,000 litres of milk per day, provided the government helped it in extending its reach in other areas of the city.
Dikshit assured DMS of her government’s assistance and instructed food and supplies department commissioner to come out with an advertisement inviting individuals for distribution of DMS milk in the city.
DMS was set up in 1959 with the primary objective of supplying quality milk to citizens of Delhi at reasonable prices, as well as for providing remunerative prices to milk producers.
The milk company gives a commission of 90 paise on sale of a litre of milk through its existing 600 booths. DMS has also been selling other milk products like curd, ghee, flavoured milk, cheese and butter in the capital.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Milk adulteration report hasty, will test samples: Delhi - Jan 11, 2012
- Shimla to go without milk from Friday - Jul 07, 2011
- Shimla goes without packaged milk - May 20, 2011
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- Milk prices up by Rs.3 a litre in Karnataka - Apr 07, 2010
- Will analyse diesel price hike effect: Dikshit - Jul 04, 2011
- Cut tax to make diesel cheaper, say Delhi dealers - May 10, 2012
- Mother Dairy hikes milk prices - Sep 10, 2011
- Fuel prices revised countrywide - Jul 25, 2012
- Petrol, diesel costlier from April 1 in 13 cities - Mar 31, 2010
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Citing pubic sentiments, Dikshit withdraws VAT on CNG (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Dikshit tells civic agencies to gear up for monsoon - Jun 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,