Government mulls weather inputs for farmersJuly 27th, 2011 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The government Wednesday said it is planning to launch a National Monsoon Mission to provide accurate rain forecast and other weather inputs to farmers.
Speaking at the annual function of his ministry, Earth Sciences Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said that agro-Met services will have greater importance in the coming years.
“The ministry has plans to establish the National Monsoon Mission to address these challenging issues relating to the monsoon rainfall in India. They not only provide fairly accurate monsoon forecasts but also issue weather related agro advisories to farmers so that the kisan (farmer) can plan his farming and increase the productivity of his soil,” Deshmukh said.
“India’s total demand for food grain is projected to touch 280 million tonnes by the year 2020-21. For this, improved monsoon rainfall predictions and associated enhancements to the agro-advisory services have been identified as priority activities,” he added.
- Weather alerts for farmers reap Rs.500 bn dividend! - Aug 05, 2011
- India to launch spoken web service for farmers - Jan 13, 2012
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- India set for better weather forecast with Chinese radars - Oct 20, 2011
- For agri help, 20 million farmers to dial in - Oct 28, 2011
- Seismic centre to come up at Satara - May 24, 2012
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh - Apr 26, 2012
- India launches integrated weather forecasting system - Sep 23, 2010
- Teraflops for non-flop rain forecast (With 'No need to fear drought or flood this year: Earth Sciences Minister') - Jul 31, 2011
- No need to worry about monsoon, assures government - Jul 21, 2011
- India eyes supercomputer for accurate weather predictions - Feb 17, 2011
- Indian meteorologists' state of the art weather forecast to aid farmers - Jan 08, 2010
- No need to fear drought or flood this year: Earth Sciences Minister (Interview) - Jul 31, 2011
- India to join hands with global groups for monsoon forecast - Jul 28, 2010
- Less rains likely in August-September: IMD - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: advisory services, earth sciences, enhancements, farmers, farming, food grain, monsoon rainfall, New Delhi, priority activities, productivity, rain forecast, rainfall in india, rainfall predictions, soil, tonnes, vilasrao deshmukh, weather