Government moots more manufacturing zonesFebruary 7th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 7 (IANS) The government is proposing to set up five more National Manufacturing Investment Zones (NMIZs), in addition to the seven ready for implementation, to boost the sector’s contribution to growth, an official said Tuesday.
“Seven such NMIZs are ready for implementation in the Delhi-Mumbai industrial corridor and five more are proposed in different parts of the country,” said Talleen Kumar, joint secretary (Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion) in the ministry of commerce and industry.
Addressing the fourth learning convention of Visionary Leaders for Manufacturing (VLFM), jointly organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council, Kumar said the NMIZs will be spread over 5,000 hectares each with world class infrastructure, clean technologies and skill development institutes.
“In dynamic global environment, India suffers from power and transport infrastructure gaps, making its products less competitive. These zones will help overcome these shortcomings,” Kumar said.
He added the government has set a target of 25 percent share of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth from manufacturing by 2022 and 100 million additional jobs from the sector.
- Government sets up board to boost manufacturing - Jun 03, 2012
- Execution seen as key in manufacturing policy success - Oct 30, 2011
- India to set up manufacturing zones - May 14, 2010
- Fruits of growing Indian economy not being enjoyed by all: Mukherjee - Apr 08, 2011
- Landmark manufacturing policy to boost growth, create 100 mn jobs (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Tokyo Summit to focus on Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor - Jul 04, 2011
- India to set up three more manufacturing zones, says minister - Aug 04, 2012
- Cluster scheme to boost electronics manufacturing: CII - Jul 05, 2012
- Manufacturing zones planned in east, south (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- India Inc disappointed with RBI leaving rates unchanged - Jun 18, 2012
- India to return to 8-9 percent growth: President (Second Lead) (With image) - Mar 12, 2012
- India, Japan appreciate their economic cooperation influencing partnership - Oct 25, 2010
- India to have national manufacturing policy by month-end - Sep 02, 2011
- CII, World Bank Group ink pact to save tiger (With Images) - Jun 27, 2012
- Raise depreciation rate to boost investment: CII - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: 100 million, cii, competitiveness, confederation of indian industry, development institutes, dynamic global environment, gaps, gdp growth, gross domestic product, industrial corridor, investment zones, ministry of commerce, national manufacturing, secretary department, shortcomings, skill development, target, transport infrastructure, visionary leaders, world class infrastructure