Government keen to reduce loan rate for self help groups: RameshJuly 19th, 2011 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) The government is keen to bring down interest rate on bank loans to Self Help Groups (SHGs) and make it on par with that for crop loans, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said here Monday.
The minister, who witnessed signing of a credit agreement worth Rs.4,600 crore ($1 billion approximately) with World Bank for National Rural Livelihoods Project (NRLP), said the government was also moving towards creating a dedicated bank for women SHGs.
He said the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) would be renamed “Aajiwika” and will endeavour to include seven crore poor rural women in SHGs in the next 10 years.
He termed NRLM as the most important flagship programme in the United Progressive Alliance (UPA)-II and compared it with UPA-I’s Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
The NRLP, which will be run under aegis of NRLM, will support specific investment in 12 states that have the highest number of poor people.
These states include Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal account for about 85 percent of India’s poor.
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi had launched the NRLM from Rajasthan last month.
- National livelihood mission to rural raise workers's skills - Jun 03, 2011
- Sonia to launch rural livelihood mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Nabard's Rs.15 bn fund to help women's self-help groups - Apr 14, 2012
- Sonia launches livelihood mission for rural poor - Jun 03, 2011
- Showcasing a 'pro-poor' agenda in tribal heartland - Jun 07, 2011
- Government, World Bank to sign pact on rural jobs - Jul 15, 2011
- Self-help groups to get loans at lower rates: Jairam Ramesh - Jun 21, 2011
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Andhra proposes non-banking finance body for self-help groups - Jun 21, 2011
- Livelihood mission to strengthen self-help groups: Joshi - Jun 25, 2010
- Small borrowers rely on moneylenders: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- Empowering lives, transforming villages - the self-help way (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 07, 2012
- Three years of UPA-II: Not much to celebrate - May 22, 2012
- KBC winner will be rural job scheme brand ambassador - Nov 14, 2011
- Self-employment scheme to become livelihood mission - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: aegis, bank loans, chairperson, crop loans, development minister, endeavour, flagship, gujarat, jairam ramesh, loan rate, madhya pradesh, mahatma gandhi, progressive alliance, rural development, rural women, self help groups, sonia gandhi, UPA, west bengal, worth rs