Government-industry task force to meet next weekAugust 10th, 2012 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) A government-industry task force headed by Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma will meet here next week to discuss fall in industrial output and suggest measures to reverse it.
Sharma, who also holds the textiles portfolio, Thursday met Finance Minister P. Chidambaram and discussed the macro-economic situation, especially the drop in industrial output.
According to data released by the Central Statistics Office, India’s industrial output dropped by 1.8 percent in June due to a 3.2 percent contraction in manufacturing production.
The factory output has contracted for the third time in the past four months. During the April-June quarter, factory output measured in terms of the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) has contracted by 0.1 percent.
The minister is also scheduled to meet representatives of the industry lobbies like the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) along with Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO).
The government has formed the task force with a view to enhance communication between industry and the government, and obtain inputs from corporate leaders for policy-making.
“The minister is regularly reviewing the situation with the senior officials and has expressed concern over the drop in industrial performance in recent months,” said a commerce and industry ministry statement.
- India's industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Government, industry to discuss growth slump - Dec 12, 2011
- Industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June - Aug 09, 2012
- Factory output dips by 1.8 percent in June (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Sharma seeks differential rate for industry as output falls - May 11, 2012
- June industrial output data disappointing: Chidambaram - Aug 09, 2012
- As factory output shrinks, India Inc. demands lower interest rates (Roundup) - Dec 12, 2011
- Inflation falls to two-year low of 7.47 percent (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- India's industrial output up 6.8 percent in January (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Industrial output rises by 2.4 percent in May (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- RBI expected to cut key lending rates to spur growth - Jun 17, 2012
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- As industrial output contracts, industry clamours for lowering rates - Dec 12, 2011
- Industrial output rises in May but recovery probability low (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, central statistics office, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, confederation of indian industry, corporate leaders, economic situation, finance minister, government industry, indian chambers of commerce, indian export organisations, industrial performance, industry lobbies, industry minister, industry ministry, ministry statement, p chidambaram, reviewing the situation, s industrial, senior officials