Government housing scheme also for middle income groupsJuly 18th, 2009 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Puducherry, July 18 (IANS) Apart from the earlier proposal to build 1.5 million houses for urban poor, the government will build a million affordable houses for the middle income group, Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Kumari Selja said here Saturday.
“Now, we have launched another scheme called Affordable Housing. Under this new scheme we are targeting another 10 lakh (1 million) houses, not only covering economically weaker section but also MIG (middle income group),” she said.
Her ministry earlier decided to construct about 1.5 million houses for the urban poor under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission.
“For housing and basic amenities, we have sanctioned projects worth Rs.33,652 crore. We have committed Additional Central Assistance of about Rs.18,500 crore,” Kumari Selja said.
To provide housing to the urban poor, the ministry recently launched an interest subsidy scheme.
Under this scheme, the urban poor will be able to get housing loans from banks and institutions at an interest rate 5 percent lower than the market rate.
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Minister - Feb 28, 2011
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Selja (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- India plans better housing facilities for urban poor - Jul 30, 2011
- 134 urban development schemes cleared for northeast - Sep 18, 2011
- 95 million Indians will be living in urban slums by 2012 - Oct 28, 2010
- Legislation in offing for street vendors - Nov 11, 2011
- '25 percent urban population of India is poor' - Aug 03, 2011
- Nod for low-income housing credit risk fund - Mar 23, 2012
- Plan to provide cheap houses to urban poor - Sep 28, 2011
- More efforts needed to make India slum-free: Selja - May 09, 2012
- 62 million slumdwellers, but India will be slum free: Selja - Sep 12, 2009
- Real estate regulator bill will improve transparency: Selja - Nov 04, 2011
- PM mulls Rs.1,000 crore corpus for housing poor - Dec 13, 2011
- Govt to focus on affordable housing, private sector to be involved: Selja - May 30, 2009
- Property rights to be given to urban poor under 'Rajiv Awas Yojana' - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: 1 million, 5 million, affordable housing, amenities, central assistance, government housing, housing loans, housing scheme, income group, institutions, interest rate, interest subsidy scheme, jawaharlal nehru, middle income groups, minister of housing, national urban, poverty alleviation, proposal, urban poverty, urban renewal