Government efforts keeping sugar price stable: MukherjeeApril 24th, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said Tuesday that the government is using a variety of instruments, including trade policy, to keep prices of sugar stable in the country.
“The government of India has been seeking to stabilise sugar prices by moderating the volatility during scarce and surplus domestic sugar seasons,” Mukherjee said after inaugurating the 41st council meeting of the International Sugar Organisation here.
“We have been using a variety of instruments such as trade policy, including the import of duty-free raw sugar under advance authorisation scheme, or import of duty-free white or refined sugar by certain government agencies and import of duty-free raw sugar under Open General License,” the finance minister said.
He emphasised the need for using better technology to improve the quality of sugar and enhance the usages of sugarcane for energy generation.
Mukherjee said the sugar sector, one of the largest agro-based industries in India, was critical for rural development. Around 50 million people are involved in sugarcane cultivation and harvesting in India. It also supports employment in various ancillary activities.
“As we move forward, we must ensure that the sugar sector has access to the latest technology for enhancing production and productivity,” he said.
India is the world’s largest consumer and second largest producer of sugar.
As per the Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA) estimate, sugar production in India is expected to reach 260 lakh tonnes in the current marketing season that ends Sep 30, 2012.
- Sugar output may drop by 1 mn tonne - Aug 08, 2012
- Unfavourable levies hit Indian manufacturing: FICCI - Aug 12, 2012
- India-Bangla trade must grow faster, says Pranab - Jan 22, 2012
- Monsoon raises hopes of better farm output, tame inflation - May 31, 2010
- India sees greater trade with Ethiopia thanks to tariff pact (With Image) - Dec 02, 2010
- Mayawati announces steep hike in sugarcane price - Nov 08, 2011
- Government mulls to deregulate sugar industry - Dec 21, 2011
- Govt. extends duty free import of white and raw sugar: Pawar - Jul 31, 2009
- Budget allows airlines to access foreign funds (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Sugar output pegged at 260 lakh tonnes - Jul 02, 2012
- Sugar policy must create export surplus, not induce imports (Comment) - Feb 08, 2011
- Government to review ban on sugar futures after monsoon: Sharad Pawar - May 12, 2010
- Sugar output rises 17 percent in October-December 2011 - Jan 03, 2012
- Improved relationship between farmers and mill-owners can boost sugar output - Oct 01, 2009
- Cuba producing sugar with new technology - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,