Government approves merger of State Bank of Saurashtra with SBIJuly 24th, 2008 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) The government Thursday approved the merger of the State Bank of Saurashtra with the State Bank of India (SBI) to enable it effectively face competition arising out of globalisation. The merger will be effected through the State Bank of India (Subsidiary Banks Amendment) Bill, 2008 to be tabled in parliament, Information and Broadcasting Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi told reporters after a cabinet meeting presided over by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The merger will enable SBI “to up-scale in terms of footprint, manpower and other resources,” Dasmunsi said.
“It will also enable (SBI) to face competition arising from globalization of the economy, apart from augmenting efficiency and enabling better management of risk,” he added.
The government separately approved amendments in the statute to bring the operations of the SBI and its subsidiary banks “in tune with the changed scenario and modern business practices”.
This would be done by amending the State Bank of India (Amendment) Bill that was introduced in the Lok Sabha on December 18, 2006 “to provide clear provisions to enable the Reserve Bank of India to prescribe fit and proper criteria for elected directors”, Dasmunsi said.
This apart, the State Bank of India (Subsidiary Banks) Act, 1959 would be amended following the transfer of ownership of the SBI from the Reserve Bank of India to the central government, the minister added.
- Government approves SBI-State Bank of Indore merger - Jul 15, 2010
- Bill passed for greater control on SBI subsidiaries - Aug 11, 2011
- State Bank of Saurashtra and State Bank of India to merge - Jul 24, 2008
- SBI to acquire its subsidiary SBICI Bank - Jul 21, 2011
- Finally, chemical weapons bill gets parliament nod - Aug 30, 2012
- List of bills on monsoon agenda (To go with parliament curtain raiser) - Jul 31, 2011
- Bank employees to go on strike Aug 22-23 - Aug 21, 2012
- Parliament session gives government chance to further reform agenda (Special) - Nov 18, 2009
- Bansal says disruptions in parliament against true spirit of democracy - Mar 25, 2011
- Bill awaits parliament nod for 25 years - Jul 26, 2011
- Government approves amendment to Ex-Imp bank act - Nov 16, 2011
- Peace at last in parliament, crucial bills passed (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- RBI ticks off SBI chairman - Aug 27, 2012
- Belgium bank to deploy Infosys software product - Mar 24, 2012
- Bank strike hits customer services in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: amendment bill, bank of india, better management, cabinet meeting, central government, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, manpower, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, priya ranjan, proper criteria, reserve bank of india, sbi, state bank, state bank of india, state bank of saurashtra, subsidiary banks, transfer of ownership