Government approves 10 more special economic zonesFebruary 25th, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) The union government Monday granted formal approval to 10 special economic zones (SEZs), including one of Videocon Reality and Infrastructure Ltd in West Bengal, a state that has experienced protests over SEZs. The go-ahead was given at a meeting of the Board of Approvals (BoA) of the Commerce and Industry Ministry, which is headed by Commerce Secretary G.K. Pillai.
The 22nd meeting of the BoA Monday took up 14 proposals for setting up a SEZ, of which 10 received the formal nod.
Besides Videocon, the other “in-principle” approval that got a formal nod was an automobile SEZ by the State Industries Promotion Corp of Tamil Nadu (SIPCOT).
Two of Mahindra Worldcity (Jaipur) Ltd’s SEZs coming up in Rajasthan for 103.11 and 104.35 hectares were also granted formal approval.
Two IT-ITeS SEZs by Devbhumi Realtors Pvt Ltd in Andhra Pradesh and Anant Raj Industries Ltd in Haryana for 10.12 and 10 hectares received the formal nod by BoA.
A 130-hectare SEZ developed by J.B. SEZ Pvt Ltd in Panoli in Gujarat for pharmaceuticals got approval along with Wardha Power Company Pvt Ltd’s SEZ in Chandrapur district in Maharashtra.
So far formal approvals have been granted for setting up of 439 SEZs out of which 201 have been notified, with an investment of Rs.67,347 crore (Rs.673.47 billion), Pillai said.
Direct employment of 97,478 persons has been generated in the new generation SEZs, which is in addition to the employment provided by the seven central government established SEZs, which is over 1.83 lakh (183,000) persons, he added.
- Seven SEZ projects approved - Apr 09, 2010
- Ten special economic zones get government nod - Feb 23, 2009
- Maharashtra axes four SEZs after local opposition - Jul 31, 2012
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- Government approves four IT SEZs - Mar 20, 2008
- Govt okays 11 special economic zones - Sep 16, 2010
- CCCL and Tidco to promote food processing SEZ - Jul 16, 2010
- Government to meet Goa's SEZ developers - Feb 25, 2008
- Government to take up 15 SEZ proposals today - Jun 04, 2008
- Government clears West Bengal steel special economic zone - Sep 22, 2008
- Employees protest CIDCO move to give land to Videocon - Aug 06, 2010
- No benefit to Reliance Group from UAS license: CBI - Oct 03, 2011
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- Goa government withdraws SEZ policy - Jun 15, 2009
- Tamil Nadu to build financial city to attract investments - Jul 13, 2009
Tags: anant, andhra pradesh, central government, commerce secretary, company pvt, economic zones, formal approval, gujarat, haryana, hectare, hectares, industries ltd, industry ministry, infrastructure ltd, maharashtra, pvt ltd, rajasthan, union government, west bengal, worldcity