Government allows more agencies to procure oilseeds, pulsesSeptember 24th, 2010 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Expecting a higher production of oil seeds and pulses, the government Friday nominated the National Cooperative Consumer Federation of India (NCCF), the Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC) and other public sector undertakings and cooperatives as central procurement agencies.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the nomination of these organisations under the price support scheme (PSS) to farmers.
“The involvement of public sector undertakings/cooperatives in the procurement operation as and when situation requires will ensure minimum support price to the farmers for their produce, under the PSS in a more effective manner,” said the agriculture ministry in a statement here.
At present, only the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED) was procuring the pulses and oil seeds under the PSS.
NCCF is a national level consumer cooperative organization engaged in the supply support to the consumer cooperative and distributing agencies of consumer goods to the consumers at reasonable and affordable rates. Similarly, CWC, a public sector undertaking has a strong network of storage facilities.
The government believes its programmes such as Accelerated Pulses Production Programme (A3P), Integrated Scheme of Oil seeds, Pulses, Oil PaIm and Maize (ISOPOM) would result in increased production of oil seeds and pulses.
“In view of this, it has been felt that more agencies are required in the procurement operation under PSS to provide Minimum Support Price (MSP) to the farmers by strengthening the system of procurement. This would also create a more competitive environment for procurement operations resulting into better quality of service to the farmers and lower cost to the government,” said the ministry.
- Highlights of measures announced to control prices - Jan 13, 2011
- Food prices: Exports regulated, action against hoarders (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Price rise: Centre asks States to take up market intervention effectively - Feb 07, 2011
- Government programmes will boost pulses production - Jun 12, 2010
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Food prices: State to sell onions, crack down on hoarders - Jan 13, 2011
- Assam farmers losing interest in rice cultivation - Mar 15, 2012
- Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddy - Mar 16, 2012
- Jharkhand sets up 500 paddy procurement centres - Aug 05, 2011
- Grow more grains, Pawar tells states - Feb 08, 2012
- Increase production of oilseeds, states told - Apr 03, 2010
- Ensuring milk security for the Indian consumer (Comment) - May 20, 2011
- Plan outlay for agriculture up by 18 percent in budget (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Nearly 5 lakh tonnes of pulses imported for distribution - Oct 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,