Google’s Pac-Man logo cost $120 mn to economyMay 26th, 2010 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 26 (IANS) Google’s Pac-Man logo led to almost five million wasted hours and cost the economy about $120 million, an analyst estimated.
Google apparently had about 505 million users Friday when the Pac-Man doodle went live. The game took up 4,819,352 hours of employee time and cost the economy a whopping $120,483,800, said Tony Wright, founder of Rescue Time, which is a tool that helps businesses to measure how time and attention was being spent.
“For that same cost, you could hire all 19,385 Google employees. That includes Larry (Page) and Sergey (Brin), right down to the janitors. You could hire them for six weeks - imagine what you could build with that army of manpower,” The Telegraph quoted from Wright’s blog post.
Internet users were happy to find the Pac-Man doodle on the search engine’s home page. It was to mark the 30th anniversary of game’s release.
The game could be played by clicking “Insert coin”. It was online for 48 hours before Google went back to its usual logo.
The search engine giant was “overwhelmed, but not surprised” by the reception given to the Pac-Man doodle, said Marissa Mayer, vice president of user experience at Google.
“Due to popular demand, we’re making it permanently available at google.com/pacman ,” she was quoted as saying.
- Google Pac-Man doodle 'cost economy $120m' in lost productivity - May 26, 2010
- Pac Man Magic Back On Google Homepage! - May 23, 2010
- Google Celebrates 30th Anniversary Of Pac Man - May 22, 2010
- Robert Louis Stevenson Remembered By Google Doodle - Nov 13, 2010
- Google Doodle Celebrates Jules Verne's 183rd Birthday - Feb 08, 2011
- Doodle 4 Google Won By Makenzie Melton - May 27, 2010
- Google Makes BuckyBalls Its Logo! - Sep 04, 2010
- Top 10 online distractions - May 27, 2010
- Google's New Doodle Consists Of 17 Images - Dec 24, 2010
- Facebook, Apple may be balkanising the web - Apr 16, 2012
- Yahoo taps former Google executive as CEO - Jul 17, 2012
- 'Googlle' marks 11yrs of creation with misspelt logo - Sep 28, 2009
- Google India unveils new search format for ads - Dec 27, 2011
- Google's special Children's Day doodle - Nov 14, 2010
- Google Creates Buzz With Balls In Logo - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: 30th anniversary, army, doodle, economy, employee time, giant, google, insert coin, internet users, janitors, larry page, man logo, manpower, marissa mayer vice president, pac man, rescue time, sergey brin, six weeks, telegraph, user experience