Google, Yahoo call off advertising dealNovember 6th, 2008 - 3:35 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Nov 6 (DPA) Google has officially called off its proposed advertising alliance with Yahoo following anti-trust opposition from the US Justice Department, the companies said Wednesday.The move was seen as a setback to both companies, but especially to the ailing Yahoo, which had hoped to book as much as $450 million per year in added operating income by running Google’s more lucrative ads next to its own search results.
“After four months of review, including discussions of various possible changes to the agreement, it’s clear that government regulators and some advertisers continue to have concerns about the agreement,” David Drummond, Google’s chief legal officer, wrote on the company’s blog.
Noting that several major advertisers had objected to the deal, Drummond added: “Pressing ahead risked not only a protracted legal battle but also damage to relationships with valued partners. That wouldn’t have been in the long-term interests of Google or our users, so we have decided to end the agreement.”
Yahoo had identified the alliance as a major strategy initiative, after it rejected a $47.5-billion takeover offer from Microsoft earlier this year. The company’s stock has since plummeted from about $30 to $14, and Yahoo said Wednesday that it was disappointed by Google’s decision.
“Yahoo continues to believe in the benefits of the agreement and is disappointed that Google has elected to withdraw from the agreement rather than defend it in court,” Yahoo said in a statement.
- Yahoo to acquire Interclick for $270 mn - Nov 02, 2011
- Yahoo!, Microsoft and AOL create ad partnership - Nov 10, 2011
- Yahoo's search migrates to Microsoft - Aug 25, 2010
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- Microsoft reaches patent deal with LG - Jan 13, 2012
- Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang steps down (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Yahoo CEO firing shocks the corporate world - Sep 08, 2011
- Facebook buys AOL patents from Microsoft - Apr 24, 2012
- Microsoft and Yahoo! get approval to implement Web ad partnership - Feb 18, 2010
- Yahoo, Microsoft link up in challenge to Google (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Microsoft-Yahoo search deal imminent: Report - Jul 29, 2009
- Microsoft allowed to buy Yahoo!'s internet search business - Feb 19, 2010
- Google, Bing sidelining Yahoo in search market - Dec 18, 2009
- Yahoo taps former Google executive as CEO - Jul 17, 2012
- Yahoo, Facebook form advertising alliance - Jul 10, 2012