Google SMS Launches in IndiaNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:54 am ICT by admin
With Google SMS mobile messaging service, users can get business listings, movie showtimes and more simply by sending a text message to the shortcode 54664 [5GOOG] from their mobile phones.
This service is currently available on the Airtel, Aircel, BPL, BSNL and Reliance networks, and has relevant local data for mobile users in Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai. Carriers’ premium text messaging rates apply.
“There’s no denying the importance of text messaging in India, and the launch of Google SMS is a natural next step for our mobile strategy,” said Vinay Goel, Head of Products, Google India.
“Millions of new mobile users are being added every month, and Google SMS will provide them with a quick and easy way to get the information they need when and where they need it,” he added.
Searching through Google SMS is simple. For example, a user seeking information on pizzerias in Andheri West can text message [pizza andheri west mumbai] to 54664, and a list of pizza restaurants in that area will be delivered to his or her phone within seconds.
Google SMS also allows for searches by common locality names, and ranks results by proximity to the specified location. The service also saves time by saving a user’s location, so they don’t have to type their location every time they search.
Check out www.google.co.in/sms for an online demo and additional features, and the attached appendix for more information on how to use Google SMS. (ANI)
- Now SMS in local language with IMImobile's app - Sep 05, 2011
- Google bans phone application used in spying - Oct 30, 2010
- Hacker claims security flaw with Apple's iPhone - Aug 18, 2012
- Low-cost smartphones whet Indian appetite for mobile apps - Mar 04, 2012
- Mobile advertising perfect for small firms - Sep 11, 2011
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
- BlackBerry helped spread riots in London - Aug 09, 2011
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- Google rolls out GrandCentral as Google Voice - Jun 26, 2009
- Refugees United offers mobile hope to search for your loved-ones - Oct 21, 2010
- In Qatar, get your flight boarding pass on phone - Nov 30, 2011
- 'More Indian teens using networking sites to communicate' - May 23, 2012
- Free ad service on voice calls unveiled in Karnataka - Jul 01, 2011
- Mobile users can now send 200 SMSes a day - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: aircel, airtel, andheri, appendix, bsnl, enabled phone, google, googlet, India, launch, locality names, mobile strategy, mobile users, movie showtimes, mumbai, pizza restaurants, search check, sending a text message, sms mobile, text messaging