Google buying social sharing firm MeeboJune 5th, 2012 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 5 (IANS) Google, the world’s biggest search engine, is buying Silicon Valley startup Meebo that helps online publishers make their websites more social.
The acquisition announced Monday will bring more tools to Google Plus, an alternative to Facebook ’s popular online hangout.
Founded in 2005, Meebo began as a browser-based instant messaging client, growing to include the Meebo Bar, which allowed users to chat on various websites like TV Guide, TMZ, and Entertainment Weekly.
“Together with Google, we’re super jazzed to roll up our sleeves and get cracking on even bigger and better ways to help users and website owners alike,” Meebo wrote Monday on its official blog.
A Google spokesman said in a statement that the company is always looking for better ways to help users share content and connect across the web, as in daily life.
“With the Meebo team’s expertise in social publisher tools, we believe they will be a great fit with the Google+ team,” the company said.
“We look forward to closing the transaction and working with the Meebo team to create more ways for users to engage online.”
Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed. But tech blog All Things D first reported rumours about a Google-Meebo acquisition in May with an alleged asking price of about $100 million.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Google buys Instagram rival Snapseed - Sep 18, 2012
- Google unveils social network to challenge Facebook - Jun 29, 2011
- New browser combines web search with Facebook - Nov 09, 2010
- Google staff to get servants as perks - Nov 02, 2010
- Rockmelt: A Social Browser Emerges In The Web - Nov 09, 2010
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- Google 3D medical browser maps human body - Dec 17, 2010
- Google's online book to demystify the Web - Nov 21, 2010
- Scientists develop tool to step up software security - Jul 23, 2012
- Twitter buys British app network TweetDeck - May 26, 2011
- Google revamps to keep 'low-quality' sites at bay - Feb 26, 2011
- Google to launch online storage service - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: 100 million, acquisition, arun kumar, asking price, entertainment weekly, google, instant messaging, meebo, publishers, search engine, share content, silicon valley, silicon valley startup, social publisher, spokesman, tmz, tv guide, users share