Good rainfall boosts Jharkhand foodgrain yieldAugust 10th, 2011 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 10 (IANS) Jharkhand expects increased foodgrain production this year following a good rainfall, the government said Wednesday.
“We expect production of more than 31 million tonnes of foodgrain this year,” said Jharkhand Agriculture Minister Satyanand Jha.
The state has received 616 mm of rainfall till now this year, much higher than in previous years, the Met office said.
“This year the rainfall is good and distribution is also good. The rains in August will be very helpful for the farmers. This year the rainfall is much better than in previous years,” G.K. Mohanty, director of Jharkhand Met department, told IANS.
According to an official of Jharkhand agriculture department, more than 65 percent sowing has taken place in the state.
“The good rainfall in June and August has helped farmers to expedite sowing. The sowing is likely to cross 80 percent and if the rainfall continues to be good, it could touch 90 percent,” he told IANS.
In the last three years, Jharkhand had witnessed sowing between 25 and 35 percent due to erratic and poor rainfall.
Last year, the foodgrain yield was around 20 lakh tonnes.
The normal monsoon rainfall of Jharkhand is 1092 mm.
Jharkhand depends on monsoon as it irrigates only 12 percent of the cultivable land against the national average of 40 percent.
- Heavy rain boosts paddy sowing in Jharkhand - Jul 13, 2010
- Poor rain hits paddy transplantation in Bihar - Jul 30, 2012
- Monsoon brings hope for Bihar's drought-hit farmers - Jun 24, 2011
- Monsoon situation not serious, rain will pick up: Pawar (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon delayed but situation not worrisome: Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Monsoon to hit Karnataka in June first week' - May 21, 2012
- Bihar set for a normal monsoon - Jun 08, 2011
- Odisha expects to achieve Kharif paddy production target - Aug 20, 2012
- 11 Odisha districts record deficit rain - Jul 31, 2012
- Fear of drought haunts Bihar again - Jul 03, 2012
- Pre-monsoon showers cool Bihar - Jun 13, 2011
- Jharkhand produces record Kharif crop - Jan 29, 2012
- Rains brings hope to Bihar farmers - Jul 09, 2012
- Monsoon delayed but situation not serious: Pawar - Jul 03, 2012
- Rains in Uttar Pradesh to be late by almost a week - Jun 26, 2012