Golf balls, tires may halt US oil spillMay 10th, 2010 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 10 (IANS) Golf balls and shredded tires may be the latest solution to stop the leak from the oil well in the Gulf of Mexico, a media report said Monday.
“The next tactic is going to be something they call a junk shot,” The Miami Herald quoted US Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen as saying.
“They’re actually going to take a bunch of debris, shredded up tires, golf balls and things like that, and under very high pressure shoot it into the preventer itself and see if they can clog it up and stop the leak,” Allen said.
The report said it was not clear when such a plan might be put in place.
The latest effort to plug the leak comes as British Petroleum was reassessing its options, one day after an attempt to lower a steel-and-concrete dome over the leak hit a setback as ice-like crystals clogged the inside of the dome, the report said.
The oil leak started when the British Petroleum operated Deepwater Horizon oil rig, located about 80 km off the US coast, exploded April 20.
- BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill well now "effectively dead" - Sep 20, 2010
- Oil spill: BP cuts leaking part of well pipe - Jun 03, 2010
- BP oil spill: World's worst accidental release, topples Mexico's 1979 spill - Aug 03, 2010
- US orders BP to submit oil well cap release plan - Jul 19, 2010
- BP places 'top cap' over leak - Jun 06, 2010
- US to battle oil leak for 'months to come' - Jun 07, 2010
- Gulf Oil leak could take years to subside, would poison aquatic life for years to come - May 14, 2010
- BP must ensure stopping of oil spill - Aug 14, 2010
- Disastrous BP oil well finally killed - Sep 20, 2010
- BP extends capped oil tests in Gulf of Mexico - Jul 18, 2010
- BP Using Tube To Control Oil Leak - May 14, 2010
- Seal completed on BP's Gulf of Mexico disaster well - Sep 19, 2010
- Investigation begins into Gulf of Mexico oil spill - May 11, 2010
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- Dome Lowered In The Sea To Cap The Oil Spill - May 08, 2010
Tags: british petroleum, coast guard commandant, concrete dome, crystals, debris, golf balls, gulf of mexico, horizon oil, latest solution, miami herald, oil leak, oil rig, oil spill, setback, shredded tires, tactic, tires