‘Gold prices may go up soon’November 11th, 2008 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 11 (IANS) The rising demand for gold in Europe may soon lead to a temporary shortage of the yellow metal in India, sparking a sudden rise in gold prices, a leading bullion importing agency official has said.”Today Europe is not able to supply gold to India, because European investors have started heavily investing in gold,” Minerals and Metals Trading Corp (MMTC) chief general manager Asheesh Majumdar said.
Majumdar, who heads MMTC’s precious metals division, was in Goa to announce the second edition of the agency’s gold exhibition The four-day event last year witnessed daily sales of almost Rs.10 million.
Despite the global meltdown, gold sales in India went up nearly 15 percent this year. “People have learnt that instead of investing in the stock market, which has been volatile, gold offers them steady and assured returns,” Majumdar said.
Meanwhile, Gitanjali Gems Ltd, co-hosts of the gold jewellery exhibition, announced that it would tie up with MMTC to set up jewellery shops across the country.
“We have already signed a memorandum of understanding with MMTC and we are working on the finer details,” Gitanjali chief executive Shekhar Wadke said.
Gitanjali accounts for four percent of the branded jewellery market share in India.
MMTC, which clocked a Rs.350 billion turnover last fiscal also handles other precious minerals, ore, metals, fertiliser, coal hydro carbon and agro commodities.
India imports nearly 500 tonnes of gold every year.
- Gold rush before Dhanteras: Jewellers - Oct 23, 2011
- Gold may surge to Rs.22,000 per 10 grams by year-end - Sep 12, 2010
- Jewellers criticise hike in import duty on gold - Mar 16, 2012
- Jewellers extend shutdown by two more days - Mar 19, 2012
- Himachal to turn temple gold into mementoes - Jul 08, 2012
- 2012 not to be a shining year for Indian gems and jewellery - May 09, 2012
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab - May 07, 2012
- MMTC to import white sugar from Brazil in May - Apr 21, 2009
- Gold demand will continue for rest of 2010 - Aug 25, 2010
- MMTC opens retail chain for gold, diamond jewellery - Apr 21, 2009
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- South Korea's foreign reserves shrink to $308 bn - Dec 02, 2011
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Gold traders on Akshaya Tritiya high - Apr 23, 2012
- Bank officials, businessmen arrested for fraud - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: agro commodities, gitanjali gems ltd, global meltdown, gold jewellery, investing in the stock market, jewellery exhibition, jewellery shops, ore metals, precious metals division, precious minerals