Goa’s floating casinos can’t enter the seaSeptember 16th, 2010 - 12:38 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 15 (IANS) The Goa cabinet Wednesday reversed its decision taken last year ordering offshore casino vessels plying in the Mandovi river to move into the Arabian Sea.
Instead, the cabinet decided to shuffle the positions of the seven offshore casino vessels along the course of the river.
Speaking to reporters after the cabinet meeting, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said that the casinos would be directed to shift to designated places in the river itself.
“The proposal was prepared by ports department officials. We have approved it,” Kamat said.
“Three vessels will now have to be anchored towards Ribander village, just a kilometre away from Panaji (upstream of the capital), while four others would be located at either side of the Mandovi’s banks,” Kamat said.
The decision to shift the casino vessels is significant because the government had come under severe criticism from the opposition and civil society groups which claimed that permitting casinos in Goa would result in an increase in the crime rate.
Following this, the cabinet had last year ordered the offshore casino vessels to move into the Arabian Sea, hoping it would pacify the public.
However, the casino managements challenged the cabinet decision in the high court.
There are seven offshore casinos in Goa, apart from more than a dozen casinos located in various five star hotels in the state.
- Goa ministers took money to shield floating casinos: Parrikar - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa Catholic priest opposes offshore casinos near village - Sep 21, 2010
- Goa's offshore casino operators withdraw petition - Sep 23, 2010
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Iron ore barge owners want cap on vessels - Nov 11, 2011
- Goa orders closure of two offshore casinos - Jan 31, 2011
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa government forcing us to leave: casino operators - May 11, 2009
- Goa puts a freeze on new ore carrying barges - Jul 05, 2012
- Ahmed Patel didn't want cap on casino numbers raised: Kamat - Mar 17, 2009
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Special law, gaming commission for Goa casinos - Mar 17, 2011
- Goa to stop five offshore casinos after their permits lapse - Jul 27, 2009
Tags: arabian sea, banks, cabinet decision, cabinet meeting, casino vessels, chief minister, civil society groups, crime rate, department officials, five star hotels, goa, kamat, kilometre away from, mandovi river, offshore casino, offshore casinos, opposition, ports department, proposal