Goan owner of AirAsia in battle to control Malaysian skiesMay 6th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, May 6 (ANI): The Goan-Portuguese owner of the budget airliner AirAsia, Tony Fernandes, has announced two subsidised offers to counter Malaysia Airlines (MAS) Zero Fare campaign.
Fernandes announced that AirAsia would pay the difference to any of his passengers if they can find any MAS airfare that is lower than the cheapest offered by AirAsia, and his second offer was a sub-Zero Fare campaign.
Just print out the confirmed booking from MAS and I will pay the difference. As for the sub-Zero Fare, which will be launched in the next few days, it will be cheaper than zero, The Star quoted Fernandes as saying in an interview.
Reacting to the MAS campaign which was launched by its managing director Idris Jala yesterday, Fernandes said he was very flattered by the full-service carriers latest initiative because it was a copy of what AirAsia had been doing.
This is the10th time that MAS has copied us. I guess imitation is the best form of flattery, he added.
MAS announced that it has launched a new product that it called Zero Fare whereby domestic travellers need only pay the airport tax and surcharges. Jala also announced that the airline had set aside one million tickets for the travel period between June 10 and December 14.
Fernandes also produced a list of prices to compare the fares offered by AirAsia against MAS’ to prove that his was cheaper.
He said that he was sure that consumers would know which airline is making a better offer especially since his AirAsia gives better service.
He also revealed that his airline had started selling hot roti canai on board his planes last month and would introduce chicken rice and satay soon. (ANI)
- AirAsia launches flight to Bangalore - May 21, 2010
- AirAsia set to become most connected non-local airline in India - Nov 21, 2009
- Forbes names AirAsia CEO Fernandes Businessman of the Year - Dec 03, 2010
- Air Asia X offers free one-way flight to Kaula Lumpur - Aug 16, 2010
- Branson's stint as stewardess put on hold after he injures his knee - Jan 15, 2011
- Branson to work as air hostess on AirAsia flight - Nov 17, 2010
- Malaysian airlines troubled by crash rumours - Mar 17, 2011
- Goan origin Fernandes has pan-India aspiration for his AirAsia (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- AirAsia X airline offers 20 percent discount - Sep 04, 2010
- AirAsia to operate daily flights on Kolkata-Kuala Lumpur route - Oct 14, 2009
- AirAsia boss confirms he's in business talks with Madonna - Jan 09, 2011
- Malaysian budget airliner Air Asia to target two million passengers to India - Jan 28, 2010
- Malaysia's AirAsia wins TTG best Asian low-cost carrier award - Oct 12, 2010
- Virgin boss Branson to shave his legs, wear make-up after losing bet? - Nov 17, 2010
- Madonna in negotiations to become nightclub owner - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: airasia, airfare, airline, chicken rice, domestic travellers, few days, form of flattery, idris jala, imitation is the best form of flattery, initiative, kuala lumpur, malaysia airlines, malaysian skies, managing director, one million, planes, roti canai, subsidised, tony fernandes, travel period