Goan casinos seek cut in proposed entry feeJuly 30th, 2009 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 30 (IANS) In a collective response to the “tough” measures proposed in Goa’s additional budget 2009-10, the offshore casino industry has objected to the proposed 10-fold increase in the entry fee to casino vessels from Rs.200 to Rs.2,000.
In a memorandum submitted to Chief Minister Digambar Kamat and leader of opposition Manohar Parrikar Monday, the Association of Offshore Casinos (AOC) has asked the government to whittle down the proposed enhanced entry fee from Rs.2,000 to Rs.500. The fee originally charged was Rs.200.
The AOC comprises of representatives of four out of the six licensed casino operating in the Mandovi river off Panaji.
While recommending on their own volition an increase in the age limit of persons allowed to enter offshore casinos from 18 to 21, the AOC has also advocated setting up of a casino control board for formulation of rules and regulating the industry.
The issue of offshore casinos has accounted for a significant part of the discussions in the Goa legislative assembly over the last two sessions, with the opposition alleging that several ministers had been paid by the casino operators to turn a blind eye to norms being flouted by the latter.
There are presently six offshore casinos operating in Goa, five of which are functioning on expired no objection certificates (NOC) issued by Captain of Ports, a state government agency that governs minor ports.
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- BJP wants to deter locals from gambling - Mar 27, 2012
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Goa's floating casinos can't enter the sea - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa slashes casino entry fee to Rs.500 - Mar 25, 2010
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Congress accuses BJP of 'U-turn' on casino, illegal mining - Aug 22, 2012
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Special law, gaming commission for Goa casinos - Mar 17, 2011
- Liquor curbs ahead of polls affecting Goa's casinos (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Poll-eve curbs on liquor affecting Goa's casinos - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: blind eye, casino control, casino industry, casino operators, casino vessels, chief minister, collective response, kamat, leader of opposition, legislative assembly, licensed casino, mandovi river, minor ports, offshore casino, offshore casinos, rs 2, rs 200, rs 500, state government agency, volition