Goa plans mega tourism circuits with Maharashtra, KarnatakaAugust 16th, 2010 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 16 (IANS) Goa will tie up with neighbouring Maharashtra and Karnataka to create mega tourism circuits in an effort to boost the tourism industry in the state, a top tourism official said Monday.
Announcing the launch of Goa’s first international tourism mart (ITM), Goa Tourism and Development Corporation (GTDC) managing director Nikhil Dessai said that tapping inter-state synergies was the key in boosting tourism activity in the region.
“Tourism industry pundits have called for creating mega tourism circuits, instead of individual promotion of tourism. By combining the strengths of Goa, Karnataka and Maharashtra, we are not only creating a mega tourism circuit, but we are also joining strengths to sell tourism in our respective states. The spin-offs will very much benefit individual states,” he said.
Dessai said that several countries in south-east Asia have already reaped the benefits of linking up with each other and are forming mega circuits to jointly attract tourism.
“Look at Vietnam, they have tied up with Thailand to create several exciting packages which not only reap in revenue and benefits the tourist too,” he said.
“The trick is to look outward. We have to create new platforms to tap tourism potential. There is no question of Goa losing tourists. All of us would benefit,” Dessai said, refuting fears that Maharashtra and Karnataka could “hijack” tourists headed for Goa.
Dessai further said that blending Goa’s beach oriented tourism with north Karnataka’s heritage tourism sites like Hampi and Badami and adventure sports venues like the Dandeli wildlife reserve, which is in close proximity to Goa, would make for a holistic tourism package and give the tourist everything he is looking for.
Goa attracts nearly 2.5 million tourists annually, of whom about half a million are foreigners.
- Goa to host international travel mart - Aug 16, 2010
- Hilly Sikkim, sandy Goa to sell tourism together - Jul 14, 2010
- India Travel Mart kicks off in Chandigarh - Feb 05, 2011
- Goa ropes in famed Konkani singer to draw tourists - Aug 16, 2010
- Karnataka looks beyond Bangalore to promote tourism - Jun 08, 2012
- Goa, Gujarat to jointly promote tourism - Sep 18, 2010
- Rajasthan, Goa sign MoU to jointly promote tourism - Oct 04, 2010
- Change Goa law to promote wedding tourism - Aug 23, 2012
- Three five-star hotels on PPP mode likely in Goa - Mar 23, 2011
- Goa tweets to refurbish image, market itself - Apr 13, 2010
- Goa says no to bikini, yes to bottle - Jan 20, 2010
- Goa drops LGBT tourism talks amid protest from Church, others - Oct 20, 2011
- The new 'spicy' face of Goa's monsoon tourism - Jul 24, 2011
- Fireworks, bubbly, baubles and a Christmas at sea! - Dec 24, 2010
- 'Hippies, bad tourism ministers are poor adverts for Goa' - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,