Goa move to scrap SEZs awaits central government’s nodDecember 9th, 2008 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 9 (IANS) Goa’s decision to scrap three notified special economic zones (SEZs) is yet to get approval from the central government, a state official has said.The Board of Approvals (BoA), a 19-member inter-ministerial board set up by the union ministry of commerce to consider SEZ proposals, is yet to discuss the issue of denotifying the three SEZs - Meditab Specialities Pharma’s SEZ, K. Raheja Corp’s IT SEZ and Peninsula Pharma’s Biotech SEZ, state Industries Secretary V.K. Jha told IANS.
“The issue was listed at a meeting nearly three to four months ago, but the meeting was deferred. The Goa SEZ issue has not featured on the BoA agenda since,” Jha, a BoA member, said.
“We have also requested the commerce ministry in writing to withdraw the notification,” Jha said.
However, the state government has not received any response, he added.
Creation of several SEZs in the state created a furore, with the opposition and various civil society groups taking to the streets. They alleged that the SEZs were only a means for land-grabbing.
The state government scrapped 12 SEZs, most of which were accorded approval, after severe public pressure and announced that three more would be scrapped.
The promoters of these three SEZs have now approached the Bombay High Court for relief. The case is expected to be heard shortly.
- Goa government withdraws SEZ policy - Jun 15, 2009
- Police file case over Goa land allotment - Aug 18, 2012
- Goa minister goes against own government, supports SEZs - Nov 09, 2009
- People's audit of SEZ to include corporate, state members - Dec 20, 2009
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Smaller SEZs could have worked for Goa' - Dec 18, 2010
- Goa chief minister to meet Kamal Nath on SEZ issue - Jan 05, 2009
- Fear of litigation halts SEZ de-notification: Goa chief minister - Nov 20, 2009
- Seven SEZ projects approved - Apr 09, 2010
- PAC to probe 2006 land allotment for SEZs - May 25, 2011
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- Government allows Maytas to withdraw SEZ - Aug 11, 2009
- SEZs needed to tackle unemployment in Goa: industry lobby - Apr 08, 2009
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010