Goa government withdraws SEZ policyJune 15th, 2009 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 15 (IANS) Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat Monday said the state government has through a cabinet decision formally scrapped a controversial special economic zone (SEZ) policy.
Speaking to reporters after the cabinet meeting, Kamat said: “We have decided to withdraw the Goa SEZ policy 2006. You can draw whatever inferences you want to.” Kamat has been under pressure to articulate the government’s stand on the issue.
The state government under sustained public pressure over the last two years, was forced to shed its support for the SEZs in Goa, scrapping nearly 12 out of the 15 proposed to be set up in the state.
The government, however, has been unable to convince the union ministry of trade and commerce to denotify the three remaining SEZs promoted by Meditab Specialities Private Ltd (123.2 hectares), Peninsula Pharma Research Centre Pvt Ltd (20.36 hectares) and K. Raheja Corp Pvt Ltd (106 hectares), which have now approached the Bombay High Court for relief.
Earlier this month, despite repeated pleadings by the state government to the union ministry for trade and commerce to denotify the controversial SEZ projects, the SEZ Board of Approval had on the contrary allowed promoters K Raheja Corp Pvt Ltd more time to build their SEZ.
On June 12, a delegation led by Kamat and two Congress MPs Shantaram Naik and Francisco Sardinha, met the new union Trade and Commerce Minister Anand Sharma urging him to expedite the process of denotifying the remaining three SEZs in Goa.
- People's audit of SEZ to include corporate, state members - Dec 20, 2009
- Police file case over Goa land allotment - Aug 18, 2012
- Goa minister goes against own government, supports SEZs - Nov 09, 2009
- Fear of litigation halts SEZ de-notification: Goa chief minister - Nov 20, 2009
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- Goa chief minister to meet Kamal Nath on SEZ issue - Jan 05, 2009
- 'Smaller SEZs could have worked for Goa' - Dec 18, 2010
- PAC to probe 2006 land allotment for SEZs - May 25, 2011
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- SEZs needed to tackle unemployment in Goa: industry lobby - Apr 08, 2009
- SEZ promoters in Goa want over Rs.1,500 crore compensation - Aug 23, 2010
- Goa SEZ scam: Kamat still to read court order - Dec 08, 2010
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- Congress chief ministers part of Goa land scam: Parrikar - Dec 01, 2010
- Goa move to scrap SEZs awaits central government's nod - Dec 09, 2008
Tags: bombay high court, cabinet decision, cabinet meeting, chief minister, commerce minister, congress mps, goa government, inferences, k raheja, kamat, ministry of trade, naik, pleadings, private ltd, pvt ltd, sardinha, sezs, shantaram, special economic zone, union ministry