Goa government forcing us to leave: casino operatorsMay 11th, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 11 (IANS) The Goa government is forcing offshore casinos to move their vessels out of the Mandovi river and park them into a bay “known for choppy seas and unstable navigation conditions”, casino operators said Monday.
The “ill-conceived” cabinet decision to move the casino vessels into the Aguada bay was enforced on the Captain of Ports (CoP) department, which overlooks Goa’s minor ports along the various water bodies, Srinivas Nair of the Association of Offshor Casinos (AOC) told reporters.
“The decision was not taken by CoP. The cabinet decision to shift the offshore casinos from the Mandovi river to the Aguada bay was enforced on them,” Nair said.
The offshore casino operators have approached the Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court challenging the government decision to shift the casinos from the Mandovi due to congestion in the river’s navigational channel.
At present, six offshore casinos are parked in the Mandovi river and one more is expected to arrive and begin operations later this year.
The casinos have faced stiff opposition from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and civil society groups that have demanded that the government order the vessels out of the state.
- Standoff over offshore casino continues in Goa - Jun 03, 2009
- Goa's offshore casino operators withdraw petition - Sep 23, 2010
- Goa's floating casinos can't enter the sea - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa Catholic priest opposes offshore casinos near village - Sep 21, 2010
- Offshore casino deadlock: Operators, Goa officials to meet - Jun 16, 2009
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Goa puts a freeze on new ore carrying barges - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa to stop five offshore casinos after their permits lapse - Jul 27, 2009
- Goa ministers took money to shield floating casinos: Parrikar - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa casino operators form pressure group - May 06, 2009
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Goa's biggest offshore casino unfit, inferior: Ministry - Oct 02, 2009
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: aguada bay, bharatiya janata party, bjp, bombay high court, cabinet decision, casino operators, casino vessels, choppy seas, civil society groups, goa government, government decision, mandovi river, minor ports, nair, navigation conditions, navigational channel, offshore casino, offshore casinos, stiff opposition, water bodies