Goa casinos need regulatory authority: Casino operatorNovember 15th, 2011 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 15 (IANS) The promoters of Goa’s newest casino said Tuesday that a gaming commission or a regulatory authority was “absolutely essential” to monitor casino gaming arenas in the state — the only one in India which allows casino gambling.
John Snowball, vice president (Gaming Operations) of Crown Lounge and Casinos, which started operations earlier this year, said that the gaming commission could be on the lines of any of the regulators in place in countries where gambling is legal.
“It is absolutely essential to have a gaming authority or a regulator to ensure that gambling is properly conducted in Goa,” said Snowball, one of the most well known casino management professionals in the state.
“It is not so hard to have an authority like this. There are gaming bodies around the world which control casinos. It is not a difficult thing to set one up in Goa,” Snowball said on the sidelines of a promotional event organised by casino operators.
Goa has five operating offshore casinos and about 20 onshore casinos located in the numerous five star hotels which dot the state, but has no authority which monitors the growing industry, which is linked directly to the tourism trade.
While the Goa government has been claiming over the last three years that efforts are being made to set up a body on the lines of the Nevada Gaming Commission (NGC), which regulates gaming in the world’s casino capital Las Vegas, there is hardly any development on the ground.
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat’s assurance to the state assembly two years ago that he would have a gaming commission in place by 2010 has also not been fulfilled, even as five new casinos have set up shop since then.
- Special law, gaming commission for Goa casinos - Mar 17, 2011
- No gambling for Goans, says BJP - Mar 15, 2011
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Bill to put casinos out of bounds for Goans - Mar 25, 2011
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Poll-eve curbs on liquor affecting Goa's casinos - Jan 27, 2012
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Liquor curbs ahead of polls affecting Goa's casinos (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Goa fighting shy of promoting casinos, says Official - Oct 15, 2010
- Limited, yet luxurious: Gaming gets big in India - Sep 21, 2011
- BJP wants to deter locals from gambling - Mar 27, 2012
- Casinos to remain shut in Goa Wednesday - Sep 08, 2009
- Goa casino operators distance themselves from tainted executive - Oct 17, 2009
- 'BJP favoured offshore casino lobby in Goa' - Jun 22, 2009
- Goa's offshore casinos ordered off city limits - Feb 24, 2009
Tags: casino capital, casino gaming, casino management, casino operator, casino operators, chief minister, five star hotels, gaming authority, gaming operations, goa casinos, goa government, management professionals, nevada gaming commission, offshore casinos, onshore, regulatory authority, s casino, snowball, state assembly, tourism trade