Goa budget proposes to reduce petrol price by Rs.11 a litreMarch 26th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 26 (IANS) In a step that will make petrol in Goa the cheapest in India, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Monday proposed a reduction in prices of the fuel by Rs.11 per litre in the state.
Petrol for as cheap as Rs.55 per litre was one of the main promises of the Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) in its election manifesto for the March 3 assembly polls.
Parrikar said that only 0.1 per cent value added tax (VAT) component would be levied by the state government for sake of record.
“I propose to reduce petrol price by Rs.11 per litre to save commuters from inflation,” Parrikar said, presenting his first budget after his party came to power in the state/
Once the budget is passed, the price of petrol in Goa would be the cheapest in the country at Rs.55.
Petrol in Goa is presently priced at approximately Rs.66 per litre.
The reduction of petrol price is expected to provide major relief to a large section of the 14 lakh-odd population in Goa, which has one two-wheeler for every three resident citizens. As of 2011, the state had 5.33 lakh two-wheelers registered in the state.
Parrikar also said that in order to lure aviation companies to refuel at the Goa airport, VAT on aviation fuel would be reduced from 22 per cent to 12 per cent.
- Goa plans mechanism to deter petrol smugglers - Apr 09, 2012
- Petrol prices in Goa plunge - Apr 02, 2012
- Goa, where petrol price goes south! - Mar 29, 2012
- Goa to lose Rs.165 crore over low petrol prices - Jul 23, 2012
- Gehlot presents populist budget with eye to coming polls - Mar 26, 2012
- Goa cops, excise staff step in to stop petrol smuggling - Jun 01, 2012
- Congress wants Parrikar to cut diesel price - Jun 06, 2012
- Cut tax to make diesel cheaper, say Delhi dealers - May 10, 2012
- Tamil Nadu cuts sales tax on petrol by 3 percent - Mar 01, 2011
- States can reduce petrol VAT if Congress takes initiative: Dhumal - May 26, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit may consider reducing VAT on petrol - May 25, 2012
- Petrol costlier in India than in neighbours, US - Nov 29, 2011
- Citing pubic sentiments, Dikshit withdraws VAT on CNG (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.6.28 plus taxes, industry welcomes move (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
Tags: assembly polls, aviation companies, aviation fuel, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chief minister, commuters, election manifesto, goa budget, inflation, litre, manohar parrikar, population, promises, resident citizens, sake, state government, two wheeler, two wheelers, value added tax