Goa airport runway cut down for five hours a dayApril 12th, 2011 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 12 (IANS) Maintenance work being carried out by naval authorities has forced Goa’s Dabolim international airport to cut down its runway length for five hours a day, an Airports Authority of India (AAI) official said Tuesday.
Dabolim airport director D. Paul Manickam said the shortened runway also meant that navigational gear was rendered unoperational for aircrafts landing at the airport during the period.
“The Indian Navy has taken up some maintenance work. Therefore, between 8.30 a.m. and 11 a.m. in the morning and in the evenings from 3 p.m. to 5.30 p.m., the full length of the airport is not available,” Manickam told IANS.
“Because of the shortened runway, the navigational gear cannot be used. Except for these timings, the landings are normal for the rest of the day and night,” he said, adding that most flights had adjusted to the new temporary timings.
Media reports Tuesday have said that six airlines, including Air India, had flouted norms by carrying out “blind landings” at the Goa airport because of lack of navigational aid.
Navy authorities have said the Dabolim airport, which is a military establishment, has only one runway and hence “arrangements have been made to interweave maintenance work with daily operations”.
The pre-monsoon maintenance work will be completed by April 27, a navy spokesperson said.
- Repairs restrict use of Goa airport runway (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- No safety norms violated in Goa: Kingfisher Airlines - Apr 13, 2011
- Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Three flights diverted from Goa due to runway repairs - Oct 27, 2010
- Close shave for 250 as bird hits plane in Goa - Nov 11, 2010
- Sea Harrier tyre burst hits Goa airport flights - Jan 23, 2012
- Kingfisher flight makes emergency landing at Goa airport - Oct 24, 2011
- Navy cuts sorties to allow civilian traffic at Goa airport - Oct 28, 2010
- Dabolim airport will not be shut for civilians: Parrikar - Jul 19, 2012
- AAI relaxes deadline for Patna airport till Oct 31 - Sep 18, 2012
- No large aircraft from Patna from Aug 16 - Aug 05, 2012
- Front tyres of Air India plane burst, no casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Mumbai airport shuts down for five hours - Apr 30, 2011
- Large aircraft allowed from Patna till Aug 31 - Aug 12, 2012
- Indigo coach hits Jet aircraft in freak accident - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: air india, airlines, airport director, airport runway, airports authority of india, airports authority of india aai, dabolim airport, evenings, full length, goa, indian navy, landings, maintenance work, military establishment, monsoon, naval authorities, norms, rest of the day, runway length, spokesperson