GM Daewoo launches new mini-carSeptember 16th, 2009 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
Seoul, Sep 16 (DPA) GM Daewoo hopes to make inroads into the mini-car market with its first such vehicle now on sale in South Korea and due to come to Europe at the start of 2010. It will be assembled at GM plants in India, Vietnam, Columbia and Uzbekistan.
The Matiz Creative is the result of a 295-billion-won ($239 million) 27-month research and development programme based on mini-vehicle designs from Daewoo’s US parent company General Motors (GM). The company believes the vehicle will become an industry benchmark in the mini-car world due to its design, performance and safety.
“GM Daewoo has a very bright future. The Matiz Creative showcases that GMDAT is a major manufacturing base for GM Daewoo to produce mini-cars,” said Michael Grimaldi, GM Daewoo chief executive.
GM Daewoo Auto and Technology (GMDAT) is South Korea’s third-largest carmaker and was formed in 2002 when GM took over the bankrupt Daewoo Motor Co.
South Korea is a test market for the Matiz Creative with its launch there Sep 2. The car will be sold in Europe from early 2010 and will eventually be on sale in about 150 countries.
The car can accommodate five adults and is powered by a new 1,000-cc DOHC engine which has earned Korea’s Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle rating. Average fuel economy is put at 6 litres per 100 kilometres.
The company hopes the car will fit an urban lifestyle. “We wanted to make it stand apart from a typical mini-car. We positioned it as a mini-car offered at the price of mini-car but still offering a style to suit urban lifestyles and engine power,” said Taewan Kim, vice president of GM Daewoo Design.
- South Korea's auto sales rebound - Mar 02, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales tumble - Sep 03, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales grow - Jul 02, 2012
- South Korea's auto production plunges - Sep 09, 2012
- Hindustan Motors upgrades Mitsubishi Montero - Apr 16, 2012
- South Korean auto production grows - Jun 12, 2012
- GM to launch 6 new cars in India - Mar 04, 2011
- General Motors expects to double sales in Kerala - Jan 15, 2010
- Tata Motors global sales grows 27 percent in December - Jan 16, 2012
- Tata Motors September sales up 24 percent - Oct 14, 2011
- Tata Motor appoints Karl Slym as managing director - Aug 14, 2012
- Tata Motors June global sales down one percent - Jul 15, 2011
- Daewoo to provide Indonesia with armored vehicles - Nov 11, 2010
- GM Recalls Vans Owing To Fire Risk - Mar 28, 2010
- Tata Motors forays into Indonesia - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,