Global tea prices concerns economistSeptember 19th, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 19 (IANS) International tea prices are pegged a notch above sustainable levels, a top economist of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said here Friday. “The current global price of tea is $2.15 per kilogram, which is above the sustainable price of $2 per kilogram,” Kaison Chang, a senior economist with the FAO, told reporters on the sidelines of the launch of the Organic Tea Development Project in India.
If the sustainable price increases rapidly, the tea producers will start expanding gardens, which in future will affect the quality of tea produced and the price will also be affected, he maintained.
“We want to keep the sustainable price at $2 per kilogram to maintain supply of tea in such a way that it does not affect the quality and price in the long-run,” he said.
The Organic Tea Development Project aims at developing technology, skills and systems of organic tea production. It would include the development of appropriate technology for the establishment of new and conversion of existing tea growing areas to organic tea farms.
This project is being jointly conducted by the Tea Board of India, the FAO-Inter-Governmental Group, the Common Fund for Commodities (CFC) and the International Foundation of Organic Agriculture Movements.
The estimated cost of the project is $4.05 million, out of which CFC will fund $1.6 million - 40 percent of the cost - and the remaining 60 percent will be borne by the Tea Board and other tea gardens.
“The estimated duration of the project is three years,” Tea Board of India chairman Basudeb Banerjee said.
India is the major producer of organic tea - 10 million kilograms - the bulk of which is exported.
“The main purpose of this project is to increase production, certification and enhance marketing strategy of organic tea in India,” Banerjee added.
- Kangra Tea is set for another bloom (With Images) - Jun 18, 2010
- Centre will help revive Kangra tea: Anand Sharma - Apr 10, 2012
- Natural teak forests declining: UN - Mar 27, 2012
- Tripura CM inaugurates tea-processing unit in Kamalpur - Jun 22, 2010
- Tea production declining in organised sector in India - Aug 07, 2012
- Love your morning cuppa? Get ready to pay more - Feb 09, 2012
- At $35 a kg, Assamese man's organic tea takes foreign markets by storm (Business Feature - With Image) - Jun 26, 2012
- Indian tea makers fear lacklustre exports - Mar 28, 2012
- Global food prices drop, but remain relatively high: UN - May 04, 2012
- Tea Board to shift northeast zonal Office to Jorhat - Jun 27, 2012
- Exim Bank to fund branding of Indian organic tea - Sep 17, 2009
- Natural teak forests declining worldwide: UN - Apr 26, 2012
- Ban on exports of tea leaves to impact tea industry in Darjeeling - Feb 27, 2011
- India to give major boost to Africa's cotton output - Jun 01, 2012
- Global food prices drop - Jun 08, 2012