Global mobile phone sales set to slide: reportDecember 19th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Dec 19 (DPA) Global mobile phone sales are set to slide for the first time since 2001 as a result of the global economic crisis, market research firm IDC Corp has forecast.The report predicted Thursday that total mobile phone sales will fall 1.9 percent in 2009 after several years of double-digit annual growth fuelled largely by demand in now spluttering emerging markets.
According to IDC, the expected growth in 2008 is 7.8 percent.
The company said it did not expect the downturn to continue past 2009, with the market in 2010 showing signs of revival as the economic recovery takes effect.
However sales of smartphones that function as mobile internet and media devices will weather the cell phone storm, IDC said.
Smartphone sales will grow 8.9 percent in 2009 with growth returning to double-digit gains thereafter as consumers appreciate their lower prices and improved functionality.
“Converged mobile devices remain a much sought-after option for many consumers,” said Ramon Llamas, the group’s senior analyst of mobile devices technology and trends.
“Users have come to realise what these devices can do beyond voice telephony, especially when it comes to running applications. In response, handset vendors have been building their products to catch this wave of opportunity.”
IDC said several industry players, including component suppliers, handset makers and operators have said that they’re concerned about handset volumes next year.
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Apple 'crowned' global smart phone leader - Aug 06, 2011
- BlackBerry knocked out of Top-5 sellers by China' ZTE - Jan 29, 2011
- Mobile device sales in India to reach 231 mn - Nov 22, 2011
- Indian mobile handsets market grows by 3.6 percent in Q3 - Dec 29, 2010
- Samsung Electronics' operating profit grows 13 percent in Q3 - Oct 28, 2011
- Indian mobile handsets market grows 10 percent in 2011 - Mar 01, 2012
- Apple ousts Nokia as world's largest smartphone vendor - Jul 30, 2011
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- Samsung to launch cheaper smartphones for India - Mar 18, 2012
- BlackBerry launches new smartphone to regain market share (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- India's mobile phone users spoilt for choice - Jun 05, 2011
- iPhone outsells BlackBerry globally - Oct 30, 2010
- Sony Ericsson launches Xperia Arc, Play in India - Apr 07, 2011
- China to become biggest IT consumer in Asia-Pacific - May 19, 2012