Global food prices drop, but remain relatively high: UNMay 4th, 2012 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, May 4 (IANS) The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has reported that global food prices have dropped three points from March to April of this year, yet still remain relatively high level, a UN spokesperson said here.
“According to FAO’s Food Price Index…the fall was the first after three consecutive months of increases and although the index is significantly down from its record level of 235 points in April 2011, it is still well above the figures of under 200 which preceded the 2008 food crisis,” said Eduardo del Buey, the deputy UN spokesperson.
The index was contained in the latest FAO Food Outlook, a global market analysis which comes out twice a year, reported Xinhua.
The second half of this year will see generally improved supplies and continuing strong demand, said del Buey.
The FAO report projected that cereal production will post a modest expansion to 2,371 million tonnes in 2012, from 2,344 million tonnes in 2011. The output of meat, fish and dairy products will also expand, it said.
According to the report, the global food bill could decline this year to $1.24 trillion from the record high of $1.29 trillion in 2011.
- Global food prices drop - Jun 08, 2012
- UN: World food prices to remain high into 2012 - Jun 07, 2011
- World food prices may remain high next year: FAO - Jun 08, 2011
- Global food import bill may top $1 trillion in 2010 - Nov 17, 2010
- UN chief to visit India - Apr 24, 2012
- No recovery in sight for global labour market: UN - May 01, 2012
- UN estimates another $840 mn needed for Pakistan - Apr 26, 2012
- World must remain vigilant against food price hikes: UN - Sep 07, 2012
- Child soldiers continue to be recruited in Mali: UNICEF - Jul 07, 2012
- Global Grocery Bill: Food Prices at All Time High - Jan 05, 2011
- Boosted supply of food staples pushes prices down: UN - Jun 03, 2010
- UN chief to visit India this week (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- UN delivers Myanmar relief supplies - Mar 31, 2012
- UN chief to carry Olympic torch - Jul 25, 2012
- Indian recovery seen pushing global wheat output 3.4 percent - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: cereal production, dairy products, fao food, fao report, fish, food and agriculture organization, food bill, food crisis, food outlook, food price index, food prices, global food, global market analysis, second half, spokesperson, tonnes, trillion, united nations, xinhua