Global energy panel calls for investment in clean energySeptember 4th, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) The International Energy Agency (IEA) Tuesday urged all countries to invest in clean energy for a low-carbon future.
IEA Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven said investment in clean energy made economic sense as every additional dollar invested could generate three dollars in future fuel savings by 2050.
She was speaking at a FICCI roundtable on ‘Energy Technology Perspectives 2012: Pathways to a Clean Energy System.
The IEA has developed 25 energy efficiency recommendations to help governments achieve the full potential of energy efficiency improvements across all energy-consuming sectors.
Among the wide ranging IEA recommendations to energy ministers worldwide are creating an investment climate that builds confidence in the long-term potential of clean energy technologies and levellling the playing field for clean energy technologies.
Pricing carbon emissions and phasing out of inefficient fossil fuel subsidies, while ensuring access to affordable energy for all citizens are central goals of a clean energy future.
The 2012 edition of report on Energy Technology Perspectives (ETP 2012) presented on the occasion points out that energy security and climate change mitigation are allies.
The report shows how energy efficiency and accelerated deployment of low-carbon technologies can help cut government expenditure, reduce energy import dependency and lower emissions.
- Durban climate talks: What it means for India? - Dec 15, 2011
- Faulty model behind US underestimating carbon costs - Sep 18, 2012
- Global temperatures set to rise 3.5 degrees C. by 2035: International Energy Agency - Nov 12, 2010
- India needs to shift from coal to other sources of energy: IEA - Sep 03, 2010
- Global CO2 emissions reach record high in 2010: IEA - May 31, 2011
- 'ICT can reduce 10 percent of greenhouse gas emissions' - Dec 14, 2010
- The Climate Change Terminology (To go with Curtain Raiser) - Nov 27, 2011
- US to mobilize $25 mn for clean energy R&D; in India - Nov 07, 2011
- UN calls for technological revolution or 'major planetary catastrophe' - Jul 06, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Domestic action on climate change, India's strength: Ramesh - Mar 15, 2011
- Create green economy in five years, avoid catastrophe: WWF - Oct 19, 2009
- Generate energy in greener ways, World Bank urges India - Sep 16, 2009
- China's carbon emissions may peak around 2030 - Aug 18, 2009
- US, India believe clean energy future makes clear economic sense - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: affordable energy, carbon emissions, carbon technologies, central goals, clean energy technologies, climate change mitigation, economic sense, energy efficiency improvements, energy ministers, energy panel, energy security, energy system, energy technology, fuel savings, government expenditure, international energy agency, investment climate, technology perspectives, three dollars, van der hoeven