Glass of death at Rs.10!December 15th, 2011 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Diamond Harbour (West Bengal), Dec 15 (IANS) A glass of liquor for just Rs.10! The allure of extremely cheap country liquor after a hard day’s toil was too much to resist, and hundreds consumed the spurious moonshine in a West Bengal village, leading to nearly 150 deaths.
Sangrampur, a sleepy village in North 24 Parganas’ Diamond Harbour, has since Wednesday witnessed at least 143 deaths in a hooch tragedy. The flourishing spurious liquor business was transacted mostly inside shanties.
While the wholesale rate of the drink is Rs.10 a litre, the retailers who procure it in jars of 35 litres each, sell the spirit to the consumers at Rs.10 a glass or in small plastic pouches for Rs.20. The liqor was allegedly mixed with a chemical that turned poisonous, leading to the deaths.
Heaps of the pouches, plastic glasses and jars were scattered in over a dozen shanties where the worst hooch tragedy in West Bengal took place. The victims were labourers, hawkers and rickshaw pullers belonging to the lower strata of society.
Scores of people are battling for their lives in various hospitals, and the toll is likely to go up.
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedy - Dec 17, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 - Dec 15, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders - Jan 16, 2012
- Bengal hooch tragedy: Charge sheet against 23 filed - Feb 11, 2012
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Hooch sellers want financial package from Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 156 - Dec 16, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Mamata to lead rally against illegal liquor Dec 30 - Dec 23, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Moonshine kills 63 in Bengal village - Dec 15, 2011
- Sip of death leaves families bereft of hope - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: bengal village, country liquor, diamond harbour, hawkers, heaps, hooch tragedy, liqor, liquor business, litre, moonshine, plastic glasses, plastic pouches, rickshaw pullers, shanties, sleepy village, spurious liquor, strata, toil, west bengal, wholesale rate